Tuesday, 26 July 2011

Fadmin

Image from here
I am up to my eyeballs in Fadmin* this evening. You know, dealing with school notes, planning menus, paying bills, organising the social calendar and folding the piles of washing (although I don't think the latter is actually a Fadmin task but I thought I would remind myself that it needs doing because our three-seater lounge is literally covered in washing).

I find when the social agenda gets busy, the piles of paper that needs 'dealing with' gets bigger. I usually put off dealing with the internet banking scheduling, looking at the online bills, writing up the school schedule on the calendar and the daycare 'news' topics in my diary and managing the credit card payments until I realise that 'oops' I have missed something important. Again.

It always costs me dearly, so instead of writing a post tonight, I am paying my bills and planning Nugget's Book Parade outfit and sorting out the paperwork for Doo Dah's overnight stay at the Children's hospital on Thursday night and completing my commitments for the Multiple Birth Association Committee and well, folding washing.

It is exciting stuff, but someone has to do it.

Are you the bill payer in your house?

* Fadmin is short for "family administration". Don't be impressed. I didn't make up this term, rather I read it in the Good Weekend magazine one week and have no idea who I stole it from :-(

13 comments:

Mama of 2 boys said...

Yep! Chairwoman of the Fadmin around here too! It's a never ending chore. And when you write it like this, it sounds like a job that deserves WAY more money... or just any money would be nice!
I currently have a dining chair stacked so high with washing to be folded, I fear the lot will come crashing down if I so much as look at it. Our work is never done xo

Diminishing Lucy said...

Hahaha, we use the phrase "fadmin or famine".

Lovely husband is quite clueless - he knows that if the fadmin ceases, we are in famine.

My desk is crying out for some fadmin.

So is the basket under the microwave.

So it the front seat of my car...

Argggh!

Naturally Carol said...

Happily it is the one thing I really think we share equally, we both have a handle on it and do our bits as needed. I can't say that about child rearing..I did the major part or work..he still does the lion's share of paid work. But..fadmin..by george..I think we do it right!

Quill and Ink Handmade said...

I think washing that needs to be folded breeds in secret.
We're only a family of four, but I'm folding and sorting and putting away a whole piled dining table worth of clean clothes at least three times a week. Ridiculous!

x

therhythmmethod said...

We share it, although one of us needs to drive the boat or things get missed. I handle most of the social/kinder stuff, Mr Karen handles most of the money stuff, and between us we try not to lose the cheque book. I used to be super organised but have to say, since Boy 3 came along, I've seriously dropped my game.

Being Me said...

Oh yes, I'm sole Fadmin Manager here *clicks bedsock-covered heels*

Am giggling at Lucy's comment. Sounds very similar to here. Front seat of my car is like the next rung up from the corner of the kitchen bench: the document has made it past the form-completion, envelope-stuffing and stamping stages (if required), to the 'almost out of my hands and hair' stage - the final step - once it gets to car front seat.

And you've just reminded me that I can't hide from the pile of clean washing forever. It's staring me down.

Megan Blandford said...

Yep, my hand is up. I do all the fadmin here, but more out of my control-freak necessity than husband not wanting to do it ;)

happyhousewifey said...

oh yes, Fadmin done by the Mrs of this household too.

We joke (serously though) that if something happened to me my hubby wouldn't be able to get to his money. He can never remember the pin to his flexicard (has had it reset THAT many times...) that he doesn't even carry the card in his wallet anymore. So he gets given cash by me, or uses signature credit card that I pay off each month.

Amy said...

Oh yes. Normally at least once every three months I sit down at the kitchen table COVERED in paperwork and sift through it all. It's always something I should do more often, we handle my father-in-law's finances and so it's like doing 'fadmin' for two families. Sigh!

Erin said...

I am so, so lucky, dh does the fadmin work around here, but then he is an accountant so it makes sense. If it was my job we'd probably end up with our electricity cut off.

Sam-O said...

I say I do the fadmin but the Workaholic does the filing because apparently I don't do it to his gold standard...

More fool you workaholic, more fool you!! LOL!

Maxabella said...

Totally the CFO (Chief Fadmin Officer) over here. The entire family would grind to a halt without me. x

Photographer Mum said...

What Maxabella said...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...