Thursday, 21 July 2011

It is all about the bike

Image from here
I fell asleep on the couch having a cuddle with the Minx this afternoon. It was a microsleep but a sleep nonetheless. I know I can sleep anywhere but I was on duty! I rarely do that. I place the blame squarely on the shoulders of the Schleck brothers, Contador and Cadel Evans.

I love the Tour de France. Love it! Going to watch it one year is absolutely on my bucket list.

It is one of those compelling sports that drags me in, year after year. The Geege and I worked out that this is the ninth July we have lost to the world's greatest bike ride.

Lance Armstrong lured me to the sport initially, but long since our love affair has concluded, I am an avid fan of this exciting 21 day event. It is a team sport, an individual sport, a sprint and a marathon all wrapped up in fit men in tight lycra with intense expressions conducting amazing human feats. It is a race surrounded by magnificent scenery, crazed fans, fantastic commentary and spectacular crashes.

The only downside is the chronic sleep deprivation. Coverage commences at 10pm and finishes at 1am (or later for some stages). I can't help myself. I sit and watch trying to keep one eye open to watch the stage winner cross the finish line but inevitably fall asleep on the couch (lucky for me Dew Drop has his regular 2am wake up which enables me to shuffle into bed after I settle him).

I am wrecked, but the race finishes on Sunday so I have a few sleepless nights ahead of me yet. I won't miss a minute.

Are you a fan? Who are you going for in this year's race?

11 comments:

Diminishing Lucy said...

I thought for a moment from the title of the post you were going to share that one of your kids has learned to ride their bike...

I love the commentary. Phil Liggett (sp?) is as familiar as Richie Benaud and Murray Walker. When any of them are commentating their respective sports, I feel safe somehow...

Lisa said...

I am with you but I am on holidays so I can take a nanny nap when necessary! I like Cadel and am hoping he can get that 1.18 back tonight. He is so close - again! One thing I do loathe is how you cannot attack the yellow on the last stage into Paris - Why bother racing it??? I know its tradition but it grates me!

I love the commentary and how accesible the race is to the general public - love it.

Salamander said...

Eight years ago, I was a Tour virgin (ha!) Now, I'm a Tour widow. My hubby is addicted, and when he's not watching it, he's off on the bike...or wishing he was!! I actually love watching it with him - I just don't let on!!

PinkPatentMaryJanes said...

Oh MM, move "going to see the tour" to the top of your bucket list. The atmosphere here is extraordinary. I'm sitting here watching it on tv at the very civilised hour of 3pm - and going to see the riders fly by the other day was just indescribable. My husband and his friends have parked their RV on the Alpe today - and he rode Alpe D'Huez yesterday. Jealous they'll get a few more days live...

I'm going for Cadel - gotta be patriotic!

Mama of 2 boys said...

We LOVE The Tour in these parts. I have it on in the background while I'm blogging. Then hubby has it taped to watch the next day and we kind of speed through it and watch bits and pieces. It's the most fascinating sporting event I can think of. And one day, hubby and I plan to head on over to be a part of it... but not like some of those CRAZIES who run alongside the cyclists. They make for 'interesting' viewing I guess ;o) xo

therhythmmethod said...

I'm not really into riding, but since having 3 winter babies, I have a special affection for European summer sporting events. I have fond memories of feeding in front of the Tour coverage with the sound turned to mute.
Mr Karen was very chuffed with our baby timing. I managed to have babies for both world cups (2006 and 2010), and Boy 2 arrived just before the Beijing Olympics.
Definitely a bucket list item. Enjoy those cheeky nanna naps. ;)

Jen said...

ooo, you make it sound so exciting to watch. I must admit we have not watched it before here but maybe I am missing out. When you do catch glimpses of it during the news, I love the look of the scenery.

Jodie Ansted said...

Hubby is a huge fan. Watches every year, and last year he cycled around France and watched a number of stages of the tour. He was even interviewed on the SBS coverage! I like to watch with him, but admittedly, if he's out, I watch something else.

I think he wants us to all go next year.

Coming?

Romina Garcia said...

I have something to watch while I am up at all the ungodly hours of the night.
I'm grateful :-)

Cathy said...

can't say that i watch it although i'm following the news - and everyone is excited about cadel's chances...so i may have to tune in :) i'm up at all hours anyway!

Down that Little Lane said...

Have loved every moment and despite the sleepless nights I wish it hadnt ended....only consolation is He won!!..did a Yell for Cadel etsy treasury today and out it on my blog xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...