Wednesday, 27 July 2011

Stressed out jaw

Image from here
I don't often notice that I am stressed. Sure. I worry about things. Sure. I have times that I feel overwhelmed with the hand that life has dealt me, but I don't usually get totally stressed out. Except when I upset someone else unwittingly. I hate that.

Today I woke from my (still) broken slumber to a sore jaw. Temporomandibular joint disorder*. This is a sure sign for me that I have been grinding my teeth (I know. An extremely attractive habit and one that you wish you could acquire I am sure!). I only do that when I am stressed.

I am behind the eight ball in most areas of my life. Parenting, school-Mum duties, work, domestic goddess chores, blogging, wifely matters and of course, friendships.

I spent some of my day today looking at my current workload, working out the things that I can complete and the things I can't. I delegated some tasks at work. Prepared for some meetings I have coming up that need some clear headed thought. Made some telephone calls in my lunch hour that I had been meaning to make for ages. Booked our camping trip in October. Did some regular stretches throughout the day. Drank lots of water.

I came home from work and took some Nurofen. I then had some extra cuddles with my four gorgeous children. I've decided to 'have a night off' and will be off to bed early tonight. I know I owe a lot of you some blog love and I am desperate to catch up on the past few days of your lives through your blog posts, but I am afraid that that will all have to wait a couple of days.

Tomorrow I have a full day packed with parenting madness and then a sleepover at the Children's Hospital with Doo Dah to investigate his snoring issues (my one good sleeper!). So you will see me again on Friday night at 10pm EST when I will be hosting another edition of the Weekend Rewind. If you haven't joined us in the past, please stop by to see what all the fuss is about. It is loads of fun and ever so easy to participate in.

Have you ever slept over at a hospital? What was your experience like? Aside from the dreadful food?

*Don't worry too much about the TMJ. It will be gone as soon as I stop grinding my teeth. Which will happen as soon as I stop stressing about things. Which will happen as soon as I stop thinking about things...

20 comments:

georgi hampton said...

look after yourself - sounds like you need someone to remind you to just take some time for yourself at the moment. hope you sleep well x

Megan Blandford said...

I do that, too! The teeth grinding, the sore jaw... yuck.

Good luck with sorting the snoring issues!

therhythmmethod said...

Ditto here. I don't grind my teeth, but I've had a headache for the past 6 weeks from tension. Take care of yourself MM.
Good luck with the sleep apnea. Our eldest had that, but it's better since his tonsillectomy. Mr Karen got the stretcher bed that night, I don't think it was very comfy.
See you on Friday. :)

1000 Homes of Happiness said...

Holy moly, you are a busy mumma Hope life slows down for you soon. When I was a poor, desperate uni student I was once paid to have my sleeping patterns monitored. Easy money!

Good luck hope some zzzzzzz come your way soon.

xoxox

Posie Patchwork said...

Oh, don't i appear to be the most relaxed & calm person on earth?? Well that is because, for the past 7 years (since becoming a mother of 4 under 4.5, funnily enough) i saw my dentist with chronic headaches & jaw ache - he said i had the most over developed jaw muscles he'd ever felt!! Yay, there is a prize for that, clenching & grinding, a $600 exclusal splint ($250 back from private health insurance). I've cracked 5, they get thicker & better, i can not live without them, life changing!!
As for food, yummo, love hospital food but i've only ever stayed at Darwin Private Hospital - i'm talking steamed barramundi, it's fantastic!!
Good luck, my first splint took a few days to get used to (waking in agony & tossing it across the room in sheer pain & frustration) then i started sleeping like a baby (my babies slept!!)
So there you have it, i consider myself incredibly mellow but on the inside my body is screaming. For me it's not the stress - it's the responsibility of raising 4 children, worry of a husband at war, my rose coloured glasses get a bit foggy. Love Posie

DancingInTheRain said...

I was given a stretcher bed to sleep on but from memory the air con was very cold and the thin blanket not sufficent. Maybe your local camping shop could supply a suitable sleeping bag?!
Hope all goes well tomorrow.

Photographer Mum said...

Hope things settle down for you asap, stress isn't fun.
I have slept overnight at the Hospital (numerous times in fact, as you will remember from last year with W) The food was ok but the broken sleep was annoying (having medical staff coming in and out every 2 or so hours...) Thankfully it hasn't happened this year...yet...fingers crossed!!

Miss Pink said...

Oh how I know how you feel!
I am riding that "I am so overwhelmed I want to hide under my blankets" feeling right now. In fact, I sit here googling things I shouldn't and I may just cry now because i'm an idiot like that when I could have just gone to bed.
I hope you are feeling back on track and better for it.
Good luck with Doo Dah. I hate sleeping in hospitals because i'm a fussy sleeper (hard to fall asleep, hard to stay asleep), but hopefully it will be very pleasant for you both.

Mama of 2 boys said...

Oh you poor love. If it's any consolation, I feel like I fall down in most areas of my life too, but I try bloody hard at all of them. I have no doubt you do too, so please don't be too harsh on yourself. I think you're amazing, working AND being Mama to four. Enjoy your time off from blogging, we'll all still be here when you return and you should NEVER feel guilty about lack blog love.
Hope all goes well with the sleep over at hospital, I imagine it will be a very tiring experience, so take care xo

Mama of 2 boys said...

*lack OF blog love... time for me to hit the sack I think :o/

Tat said...

I clench my teeth when I'm stressed and my dentist always tells me off...

And I've only slept at the hospital when my son was born. I didn't enjoy it one little bit, so I hurried home as soon as I could with my daughter.

I hope your jaw is not giving you too much grief and will recover soon.

Lisa said...

I concur with Dancingintherain re coldness of hospitals take a good blanket! Good luck! Last time I was in with a child I got a recliner, not too bad.

Mum on the Run said...

Hopefully the end of the week brings a little less stress.
My hospital sleepovers weren't fairy tales - but coming home each time is a happy ending!
Good luck.
:-)

Rhonda said...

Ah TMJ. ugh...I hate it. I used to have to wear an actual mouthpiece at night to keep from grinding my teeth. Alleviate some stress before you get to wear something ultra sexy like mouthgear to bed!

Diminishing Lucy said...

I don't imagine you'll get much sleep in the hospital...

I've done a few - Charlie was in for such a long time last year. Pull out camp bed and thin blankets. Kids wards often have a kitchen for parents - I survived on toast and cereal and fruit...

Michelle Twin Mum said...

Sounds like you have made some sensible choices today and thay you are on the way to stop thinking and stressing and thus grinding. My best friend does the same, she has to wear a mouth guard when she sleeps to stop it.

Good luck with the sleep over.

Mich x

Life In A Pink Fibro said...

Good luck at snoring school!

x

Quill and Ink Handmade said...

I love how the body instinctively lets you know when it's time to slow down - it really is the most amazing thing, isn't it?

Good luck with your little one at the hospital :)

x

Kim H said...

I hope it all goes well at the hospital. That's quite a big thing to be going through,especially ad it for with a sore jaw. At least you know there'll be plenty of nurofen on tap there;) xx

Christie said...

Wow, lots going on here. I can relate to the teeth grinding, mine is prolific, I have to wear a sexy mouth guard to bed!
Good luck with the hospital stint, maybe take your own pillow?
Take care,
Christie xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...