Monday, 25 July 2011

Tag team

Image from here
Sometimes I wonder why I even bother going to bed. I know I bring some of it on myself. I am a night owl. Always have been. But mostly it isn't all me. Last night was one of those nights.

730-830pm - The two older boys refused to fall asleep. They played every card in their decks to stretch out their bed time and to attract their parents' attention. We played every card in our decks to insist they go to sleep. They eventually nodded off sometime after 9pm.

9-1130pm - I was occupied doing EOFY stuff with my husband for his business. I insisted we finish up because I was desperate to go to sleep. I cleaned my teeth and headed off for some zzzzs.

1130pm - Young Dew Drop awoke from his slumber, screaming into the dead of the night. He refused to return to his cot and his loud protests threatened to wake the Minx (he always does this just as I am trying to get into bed). Multiple attempts to return him to his bed were unsuccessful. Settled for some time in front of the TV watching the final stage of the Tour de France.

1230am- Dew Drop and I went to sleep in my bed. He snored loudly in my ear. The Geege snuck into bed at some stage.

300am - I was awoken by Nugget who had wet his bed. I did the midnight sheets change. In the dark. Without my glasses. Of course the mattress protector had come off the mattress and so it was soaked in 'man's wee from a boy's body' so I had to set up a mattress on the floor for him.

315am- Back in my bed. Only I no longer really fit in it as Dew Drop and The Geege had taken full occupation of my space in the bed (and my pillow) once I got up to help Nugget. I fell asleep anyway.

450am - The Minx woke. Screaming. She has the most wretched scream, like, ever. I bounded out of bed to see what the problem was. She had lost her cookbook (she sleeps with a book of cake recipes. I know. I know. It spells trouble but believe you me, she is as stubborn as a mule and you cannot tell her anything!) I attempted to recover the lost item, in the dark, without my glasses but had no such luck. She insisted she would stop screaming if she and here blanky could go to my bed. I was too tired to refuse.

515am - Returned to bed. There were now four in the bed. My alarm was due to go off in 45 minutes. I blinked and it was 6am.

6am - I spent 20 minutes trying to work out how to get out of bed without waking everyone. Eventually I had to make a break for it. Both toddlers followed me into the bathroom and then into the kitchen and begged for breakfast. I sorted them and myself and disappeared out the door towards the train by 7am.

Thank God for the ever consistent sleep skills of Doo Dah.

Exhausted.

How was your sleep?

17 comments:

Erin said...

Relate, relate, relate!!

Michele said...

oh dear and I thought I had a bad nights sleep. My idea of a fantasy is a full night (or preferably weekends) sleep in a motel room with clean sheets no one to share the bed or space with, my own pillow and sleep read and wake up when I want. Planning on booking in ASAP (as soon as can afford. Cheaper than therapy!

Maxabella said...

Wretched little bleeps! Grrrr... x

DancingInTheRain said...

And then you went to do a full day of work!
Hope tonight is better!

Diminishing Lucy said...

Exhuasting.

Little feckers.

I wish you sleep. Big piles of hours of it.

xx

Alice Becomes said...

Oh, I can relate. Mine go to bed easily. But from midnight on it is another story! I am a night owl too and by coincidence, moments before reading this post, MM and I had decided that I MUST go to bed earlier. Hmmm.

Last night was not good for me but it sounds like i had more sleep than you. Hope tonight is a better one for you. And me!

Gill x

Mama of 2 boys said...

Oh my, that sounds nightmarish and actually makes my terrible nights not look so bad. I am a night owl too and I often kick myself for not getting into bed an hour or two earlier, because both my boys have a tendency to be restless from the midnight mark. It's scary how used to limited sleep we become.
I do hope you get some more hours under your belt tonight though, you poor thing xo

Kate said...

yep...startlingly familiar!! Wishing you more plentiful zzz's tonight!

Jaimee Hunter said...

Poor you! That sounds aweful...I'd go sleep in the guest room or get a king-sized bed. :-( Our sofa calls my name on nights like that.

therhythmmethod said...

Our boys are pretty good, except when someone's sick. Any sleep I lose is because of myself and spending too much time on the computer.

cityhippyfarmgirl said...

I thought my last nights sleep was crapola but after reading yours....it was just fine!
I hope you have a king size bed.
(and can relate to sleeping with a cookbook, Little Monkey likes to sleep with a bundle of rulers lately.)

Christie said...

I am exhausted too. But only from reading about your night!! I know I have had some beauties too in my time, but touch wood, cross fingers and do a little jig, at the moment they are sleeping really well. I hope this time arrives for you really soon. Like tonight. xx

Tai Tai said...

OMG I'm tired just reading that. Sending you some zzzzzzzz's x

Quill and Ink Handmade said...

Oh, MM! Awful!
But I am loving the fact that your wee Minx sleeps with a recipe book. Bless her heart :)

x

Jen said...

Ah the joys of being a parent hey. I feel your pain but only x2 so can only imagine how much fun you arent having. Hope you can get a sleep in one day soon to make up for it.

Lizeylou said...

WOWZA's ... nights like that just suck dont they. Hope it all gets better quick smart!

Janelle said...

You are a superwoman! And I'm impressed that you managed to write so clearly about it too, with details of the times and everything!

I wholeheartedly agree with Michele and have had the same idea about booking myself in to a hotel room for a weekend and not coming out. But sounds like you need it more than me after the night you had.

Hope you've managed some early nights since!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...