Thursday, 14 July 2011

Twindividual time

I had the opportunity to spend some quality time with Dew Drop this week. He has been sick and I got the honours of having two days off work to attend to his every whim need.

I really got to know him, as an individual. He and the Minx have always been a twosome. They arrived together and have been together ever since. Sharing a routine. Sharing a room. Sharing their playtime. Their meals. Their baths. Pretty much everything.

They look out for each other. They fight with each other. They scheme together. They drive each other nuts. They love each other to pieces. But they are always a 'they'.

It is rewarding spending individual time with your children. If there had just been a little less snot in the equation, Dew Drop and I would have had the perfect couple of days. Pottering around the garden. Getting a few little jobs done. Hanging in front of the TV. Toddling to the local shop for an afternoon treat. Singing along to music. Popping out to get the mail. Making cauliflower soup. 

Nothing much to do except stay warm and get better.

I wish it didn't take a virus to enable me to have this sort of quality time. Dew Drop is a seriously cool little dude.

How do you spend one on one time with your child? 


12 comments:

Diminishing Lucy said...

When I scroll and see snaps of your kids, I just get a grin on my face - seriously cute.

I am glad you had this time, snot aside.

One on one time is GOLD. I love it. We plan for it.

(Charlie is going into the office with Andrew next week for "boy time". Both of them cannot wait!)

xx

Mum on the Run said...

So gorgeous.
Snot excepted.

I cannot comment - as a Mum of one, but that one to one time is precious.

:-)

PartlySunny said...

I love doing the one-on-one time. It's kind of like having a different kid. I suppose it's sort of the same phenomenon as when you go home to your parent's house and start acting a little bit like a kid again. People always act differently around certain people. Anyway, I'm glad you got your Dew Drop time.

Naturally Carol said...

With multiple children it's not always easy but absolutely good for both of you. Now that I only have my youngest sons here..it is great that they get a chance to be the 'eldest' two! With time they all get there chance at being individuals and part of a whole.

Jen said...

Anytime I spend 1-1 with my two kids is spontaneous atm. Maybe a special book together or going somewhere just with Mum every now and then. Hope the illnesses are fading away now, damn winter

therhythmmethod said...

I try to read oldest boy stories at bedtime. Middle boy I often excuse from his nap while big boy is at kinder just so we can have a little one on one time. And bubby gets me all to himself on a Friday. One on one time is so important. Sometimes our personalities seem to be a big blur: nice to stop and notice each child for who they are.

MandyE (Twin Trials and Triumphs) said...

We had our first individual "dates" with the girls due to vomit. It wasn't pretty, but I took it! :)

Hope everyone is better now!

Amy said...

I have been making an effort to have one on one time with each of my kids. Both myself and the kids are enjoying it. They don't have to fight with a sibling for my attention and I don't have to get them all to shut up so I can understand what one is saying.

I usually do grocery shopping with one child each week always changing which one comes. Also my eldest goes to kindy 5 days a fortnight so I get one on one time with me middle child every day when my youngest has his nap.

InkPaperPen said...

I only have two and I find it hard. M1 and I spent tuesday afternoon in the garden together while M2 slept. I am more likely to get one on one time with M1 thanks to M2's daily nap. I am not sure when to try and get the same time with M2. Interesting idea from Amy above, on alternating who comes grocery shopping. This could work for me! (Thanks, Amy!)

xo

Suzi said...

It's really quite hard to get that one on one, I get it with The Princess now the boys are all at school but I pretty much never get it with them. One day...

Quill and Ink Handmade said...

So glad you got to spend some time with your little one, just the two of you. I'm sure he loved having you all to himself too :)

x

ClaireyH said...

Cooking and reading are the special things we do alone. They love to cook with me on their own as they don't have to take it turns to stir, or lick the spoon.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...