Tuesday, 19 July 2011

Words on Wednesday: Status Anxiety

Write On Wednesdays


Write On Wednesdays Exercise 6 - Status Anxiety: Log onto your Facebook/Twitter page and write down the first status update you see.  Set a timer for 5 minutes. Write the first words that come into your head after your prompt. Stop when the buzzer rings. Do this exercise over and over if you wish. If you don't do the social media thing (there's bound to be some who haven't succumbed!) email me and I'll send you a status update from one of my social media accounts. If you feel uncomfortable about using one of your friend's status updates, consider using the most recent update on Lamebook, the home of the funniest and lamest Facebook status updates. 

"I really want to hide under a big rock right now and not come out... can this day not have happened"

She couldn't believe that she had actually said the things she had. To her boss nonetheless. Her boss! The words had slipped from her lips before she even registered her company. She was like that. Her Mum had always said 'it is not what you say, but how you say it that counts'. In the case of calling your boss "a bumbling old fool", maybe the content is just as powerful as the tone. 


She wishes she could just hide under a big rock right now instead of having the face the music with Mr Smith from HR. She dreaded it. If only today had never happened and that bloody Rupert from the cubicle next to hers hadn't riled her so much with his loud telephone voice and booming music through his headphones. She didn't cope well with noise and it seems that today was no exception. 


A genuine case of foot in mouth. No excuses...


What rhymed with bumbling old fool? What could she possibly have meant to say? It wasn't looking good for her. "Renee?" Damn. It was Mr Smith. Wherefore art thou big rock?


Want to play along? Join the link up.

16 comments:

Aakriti said...

Nice one...I've had some days like these too...but not with a boss though...ur post just makes me realise how we should think before we speak...a thousand times if need be...:P
dropping by from WOW
Aakriti
http://aakritimalik.blogspot.com/2011/07/write-on-wednesdays.html

Tat said...

This just sounds too familiar, I've done it more than once ;).

I've been a bit slack with WOW the last few weeks. A couple of times I started writing something and didn't finish it. Shouldn't be that hard to write for 5 minutes, right?

Naomi said...

Ah, foot in mouth, have been there more than a few times. Never do find that big rock to hide under though!

Sarah Mac said...

Ha ha, been there, done that (opted for voluntary redundancy;).

InkPaperPen said...

Probably a case where the content is as powerful as the tone! I guess there are far worse insults than "bumbling old fool" but then again, calling your boss this? Not a great idea...

Love the flow of your writing. It is very easy to read and I found myself smiling as I read it. Hope you enjoyed this week's exercise. Lovely to see you playing along

xo

Life In A Pink Fibro said...

Too cute! Love it. We've all been there.

Jodie Ansted said...

I loved it! Especially the reference to Rupert. The character's personality came out in that line!

More please. :) x

Suzi said...

Great! I can identify with Renee there too - My mother says I only open my mouth to change feet ;)
I would be interested to read the rest of the story, hope Mr Smith is understanding...

V. Furnas said...

I think I am Renee. Bless our hearts.

I can't believe I am number 400...follower!!! Very excited. Can't wait to read more.

jennifersmart said...

Very readable and enjoyable.

Anne said...

Ah yes. We all had a Mr Smith in our workplace and we all wanted to hide under a rock when he wanted to see us. It was often not good news. LOL

Anne @ Domesblissity

Kymmie said...

Beautiful writing, and understand totally. Of course, it happened to a friend, not you. Naturally. xx

Jayne said...

Oops. Renee is toast! Rupert would've riled me too. People who use loud telephone voices are most irksome.

Fun read!

E. said...

That's so weird. My attempt is also about a girl and her boss. In mine Mr Smith is the boss not the HR guy.

Are you going to continue writing this?

E. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Musings Of A Small One said...

I can definitely sympathise! Have been there far too many times. Enjoyed reading this!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...