Monday, 15 August 2011

I was a vision in red today

This is not me, but you knew that, right? Image from here.
I donned my bright red trenchcoat today (even though it has a button missing).

A touch of red to show support for the grieving family of Daniel Morcombe. A touch of red in honour of families with missing children.

I was not alone in my colour preference today. There were others like me following the wishes of Mr and Mrs Morcombe. We nodded and smiled across the carriage on the train and in the staff cafeteria at work.

This small gesture got people talking. This is a good thing. I heard whispered stories about near misses at the shopping centre, about children who have gone missing (most of whom returned home), and about holding loved ones close.

The Morcombe family have been remarkable throughout their eight year long ordeal. They have been so brave and strong and a reminder that this sort of thing can happen to ordinary people.

I hope they find some way forward with the resolution of this case. I hope they find some sense of closure now that the suspected person responsible is facing justice.

Did you wear red today?


9 comments:

Alex aka WHOA MUMMA! said...

Yup.
Girls had red ribbons in their hair and I pulled a red belt through my jeans (note to self - buy more red clothes).
Even if the person in question is not the one responsible, I am grateful that child safety and stranger danger has been brought to everyones attention again through the tragedy that the Morcombe family has had to endure.
Thank you.

Maxabella said...

Yes! We all did. I even posted a pic of my unmade up red self on Styling You's wall... go on, Coo!! x

Cate said...

I wore red too - it was the least I could do...
xxxCate

Ms Styling You said...

Thank-you for linking your post and thanks for wearing red. Every time I saw someone wearing red today - online or offline - I teared up. People showing support across Australia beyond.

Life In A Pink Fibro said...

Sure did.

Sarah said...

Perth seemed fill with people wearing red today. A little way to honour a small boy and his courageous family. They have been utterly remarkable I agree.

Mama of 2 boys said...

Yes, I dressed my boys in red today. I couldn't stop thinking about the poor Morcombe family every time I saw the colour red. You are right, it sparks a nerve inside of people, it unites strangers and has the power to give people hope in something, even when it seems all hope is lost. My heart breaks for this family, it really does xo

Rhonda said...

I did wear red yesterday. And I asked that my husband and son wear red as well. They were sad when I told them why, and so we all proudly donned the color red. It probably didn't mean anything to the people we saw here in Oklahoma, but we knew in our hearts why we all matched.

Eloise said...

I wore my red jacket today and my red ballet flats. Those poor people. My heart goes out to them and to all the families of missing children. I "temporarily" lost my 3 year old at a 'Game Zone' arcade place not long ago and the panic and fear I felt while running around searching for him in that few minutes was terrible. Its appalling that there are monsters out there preying on children. It is scary to think that these people go about living normal lives, looking like normal people and yet they are capable of doing such terrible things. My oldest is almost 8 and I worry about the conflict between vigilance and independence. I'd rather be safe than sorry but I don't want to miss out on many of the freedoms I had as a kid.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...