Sunday, 18 September 2011

52in52: Make sushi

Once a month, on their 'birthday number', the bigger kids get to choose what's for dinner (the twins will join on once they turn three). It has to be something homemade. I usually have to give them a list of options to select from (depending on what is in the fridge), but it is their chance to contribute to the family menu, and an opportunity for us to make them a little bit special.

They love it. It morphs from selecting dinner to "king of the household" in their minds so we have to reign them in, but it is a nice little family ritual.

For Nugget it is the 15th of the month and we invariably have fish and chips (he is sooooo predictable). Doo Dah gets the 17th. He comes up with a whole host of options, from broccoli soup to baked beans on toast to well, sushi.

I was rapt (excuse the pun) when he asked for sushi this weekend. It is on my 52in52 list to make sushi so I got stuck into it.

My attempt was passable for a first-timer. I made two different flavours - a vegetarian roll and one with (cooked) salmon. I preferred the salmon.

I learnt a lot about the fine art of sushi making (mostly via this website). Wet hands for the rice, dry hands for the nori. A delicate balance between rice and water when cooking the rice (mine was a little underdone in the end). A two centimetre margin at the end of the nori. You need less stuffing than you would think! And get Japanese soy sauce - the regular stuff is just a little bit wrong.

I strongly recommend you do this the night before a big clean however. There are little bits of (mostly squashed) rice turning up all over the place!

What do you think your child would select if it were his/her turn to choose the dinner menu?

20 comments:

PinkPatentMaryJanes said...

Legend! I love this idea too.

My daughter would choose duck confit- obviously my child...

MultipleMum said...

@PPMJ: lol! Obviously :-)

Mum on the Run said...

This is an awesome idea.
If it were up to Magoo however, apparently we would be having "Weetbix" for dinner on the 3rd of every month!
:-)

Kymmie said...

I'm so impressed that Doo Dah has such good taste. I've tried sushi a few times, but my lads just aren't interested. But still trying.

If it were Madison's (5yo) request it would be noodles (good choice). And Noah, he'll eat anything sweet. Juice, cake, biscuits, ice cream. He can't really choose just yet, but when we have dinner, he'll always bypass main course for dessert.

Every time!

You sushi looks great. My fairy step daughters bought me a sushi making kit for Christmas a couple of years back and I still haven't used it. I think it's time!

xx

emma @ frog, goose and bear said...

What a great idea. Goose (7) loves sushi and will often have it when we are out, but the others wouldn't touch it. I think we'd be having sausages & mashed potato every night if they all got to pick - classy.

Jen R said...

Butter chicken is the fav in our house and all 3 lov it! We make sushi every few months but the mess...and they all like different fillings,,,good family fun but!

MandyE (Twin Trials and Triumphs) said...

I love this tradition...so cool! How will you handle the twins, though? Will they get consecutive nights, or will they have to choose one dish?

And congrats on making sushi...I'm impressed!

At 2 1/2, our girls usually ask for veggies. They're always talking about broccoli, cauliflower, and Brussel sprouts these days...so maybe we'd have a veggie plate.

Marcy said...

What a great ritual! I might have to adopt that one. The 14th would find us having macaroni and cheese (he would want the yucky boxed kind, really, but no way, while on the 26th it would be meatloaf and mashed potatoes.

Kirsty @ Bowerbird Blue said...

My son selected sushi for his 7th birthday this year, and his 10 year old sister made them for him, ace! Love the once a month idea, we've got two on the same day of the month so could be fights.

Quill and Ink Handmade said...

MM - I love this idea!

I asked Judah what he would pick for dinner, and after a moments consideration: 'Um, marshmallows and carrots and cereal with honey.'
Joy.

x

therhythmmethod said...

I made sushi once and it looked like Fred Flintstone made it. Good tips MM.

InkPaperPen said...

I tried making sushi when I was teaching in Sth Korea. The kindy kids had to show me how it was done! Much harder than it looks. Very impressed.

M1 would pick pancakes and M2 would pick broccoli. (strange choice on the broccoli, I know - he loves the stuff)

Kelsbells said...

Nice work - the sushi looks fantastic!

I had sushi on my 52 in 52 as well, and I had so much fun making it! I've ended up making it a few times since, and getting others involved in the process. It's definitely a fun (albeit messy) group meal.

One to try in the future, get some chicken schnitzel and cook it up, then add some cream cheese and some avocado to it - bliss! It's one of my favourite, and I've also really loved ones that we have made that had cucumber in it, so good.

Lisa said...

what a lovely idea! I couldn't do it though. my youngest son (20) would choose meat pies, which is ok but my older son (21) is a vegan and the meat substitutes he eats look too much like dog food for my liking!

1000 Homes of Happiness said...

Love this idea! The twinnies dabble with sushi in our little home. I would adore a reason to make it at home.

xox

Kellie.

Tat said...

We've been making sushi, too. Then my son takes them to preschool and tells everyone how he made them all by himself.

Megan Blandford said...

Homemade sushi is yum! But very time-consuming, unfortunately. Yours looks good!

River said...

Japanese Soy Sauce??
I thought soy sauce was just soy sauce. What brand is the Japanese one?

Mrs Catch said...

I've made sushi too. It's fabulous. My family is divided about it though. Some would eat the lot, others wouldn't eat it if you paid them. Never mind. More for me.

EmmaK said...

Letting the kids choose can go wrong too! Like my daughter when she was eight begged me to take her to a sushi restaurant. She said she had eaten it before at a friend's and LOVED it. So I took her to a lovely place and ordered tons of it. And then she took one bite and said 'uh this has raw fish in it.' !!! I said 'yeah that's what sushi is.' She had just eaten California Rolls with the avocado in it before and thought that was sushi. We ended up having to order her something else but it was a fun evening.

Thanks for Rewinding!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...