Tuesday, 27 September 2011

The seasonal changeover - to sell or not to sell?

Image from here
One of life's little chores when you have a brood is the changeover of clothes at the end of the season. It is part of the dreaded Fadmin and, for some reason, is always done by me at our house.

We have oodles of clothes in storage boxes in every nook and cranny of our house. They start in one child's drawers, are worn, outgrown, then stored in boxes until they are recalled for another child when he is ready.

It is a case of deja vu when Dew Drop gets decked out in an outfit that Doo Dah rocked last year, and Nugget the year before. We're lucky they all have the same colouring!

There are some occupational hazards though. Even though I think all my boys are totally different, they look remarkably similar at the same age, wearing the same things, so date-stamps on photos are a must at our place.

And because all the clothes are so similar in size, it is very easy to mix up the wardrobes of each of the boys. Poor Nugget donned a pair of size 3 shorts the other day. He didn't even notice, but when I looked over at him in his hot pants I suspected that something was amiss.

The twins are the end of the line. When they outgrow their clothes, we hand them on to friends, the multiple-birth clothing swap or an op-shop. It is such a feeling of joy being able to pass these clothes on to another family.

When you are done, you are done.

What do you do with your cast aways? Do you sell them or donate them? Have you ever had a garage sale? Was it worth the effort?

12 comments:

Maxabella said...

Why I give them to you, of course! x

Erin said...

Mostly they are just too worn out;)

Kymmie said...

Oh, I see you started your spring de-clutter. (We must thank Felicity!) We have a cycle of love that goes on around here. My BFF sends me her stuff, which Madison wears. When he grows out of it, I give it to Jennifer, who gives it back, then I let Noah wear it. When he grows out of them, I then pass them onto Leanne, who gives it to Kate...

Our clothes get A LOT of love at this place. But I do love that they get passed around and I get to see my kids' outfits on other kids.

So cool.

But the best bit IS passing them on, knowing that I don't have to store them anymore. xx

Diminishing Lucy said...

I pass them on to whoever will love them.

Lexie has am overflowing wardbrobe - she is the last girl in a big collection of girl cousins and neices and nephews. Her wardbrobe is extensive...

And when she is finally done, I pass things on, unencumbered.

It's a job for me in the school hols - the quarterly wardrobe sort outs...

MandyE (Twin Trials and Triumphs) said...

I try to consign the girls' clothes first (I get 70% of the sale price through the sale I participate in, twice a year). What's not sold, I have a couple of friends who I pass things along to, and I donate anything that they wouldn't be able to use.

In some ways, it's a complex system, but it makes me feel better (and less likely to hoard!) if I know their things are going to a good home. :)

Photographer Mum said...

I usually pass them on or put them into a clothing donation bin.
We had a garage sale when I was a kid so I can't really comment on how worthwhile it was. Personally I just couldn't be bothered with one. I'd sell on eBay instead. So much easier and you don't have to spend your weekend waiting for people to come over and trawl through your stuff, but in saying that, I do love to visit garage sales...lol

Mel said...

We pass ours on to friends. Thankfully we have friends passing on to us, so its like a 'pay it forward' scenario.

If I can't pass them on, or find stuff that I missed and the friend's kids have already outgrown, then they go to Vinnies/Salvos.

All of our 'outgrown' toys go to Vinnies/Salvos too - not worth selling most of them. Anything big we either keep, loan out or try and sell, but I haven't had to do that too much yet.

I haven't been to a garage sale in years, but I do remember them being a lot of work to set up and then haggle with people, so not sure it would be worth it unless I had a heap of other stuff to sell as well.

DancingInTheRain said...

Have a garage sale with a friend!

We are just starting to purge all the baby gear and it great passing on to people who will continue to use the stuff - be that friends, family or ebay buyers!

Jen R said...

I do a mix, pass on to friends, donate to charity, and sell a bit of ebay. I love garage sales and have one every couple of years, it gets rid of heaps of stuff and I have always made good money so well worth it, good advertising and signs the key and have friends bring stuff over too, make a day of it.

Jen R said...

I do a mix, pass on to friends, donate to charity, and sell a bit of ebay. I love garage sales and have one every couple of years, it gets rid of heaps of stuff and I have always made good money so well worth it, good advertising and signs the key and have friends bring stuff over too, make a day of it.

Miss Mandy said...

I'm a bit of this bit of that kinda girl. I used to go to baby markets to get rid of my daughters stuff that was like brand new. Now I mostly hand it down to a friend. I do this usually because I just want to get it out of my house!
we still sell toys and bits and pieces on ebay, but it's a lot of effort.
garage sales, just as much a pain, but if you've got lots of stuff worth it. Especially if you can convince the neighbours to join in, a street with 4 or 5 houses garage selling at once will bring a lot of people in, and stop you from being lonely.

Kirsty @ Bowerbird Blue said...

Not much worth selling from our boxes, off to the oppy, friends or sometimes the compost bin. Clothing management is a right pain and those pics look very like home to me. So easy to miss the for laters and then it's all too late.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...