Monday, 17 October 2011

Baking bickies

Old mother Hubbard went to the cupboard to fetch her poor child some lunch. But when she got there the cupboard was bare so she had to make him something with crunch. 

Don't you hate school lunches? After just one week back in the trenches, I am already scraping the barrel for interesting ideas. I stumbled upon this fantastic recipe for biscuits posted by the marvellous FatMumSlim. Just four ingredients - carnation milk, butter, sugar and self-raising flour.

I had all the ingredients in the pantry and set off to work last night, between watching the World Cup Rugby Semi final (boo hoo) and folding the usual Mt Sunday of washing.

I made three different flavours, just from the stuff I had but Chantelle has lots of other ideas in her post. Here are my jam drops and rainbow sprinkles before they spent a mere 12 minutes in the oven. Perfect and ever so easy!

Our school is celebrating Nude Food day tomorrow (a day early) and every Tuesday in Term 4. The Geege is dreading it because he does school lunch duty on Tuesday. I think it is the best idea since Sip 'n' Crunch and the Eco-garden (our school is rocking on the eco-front). Healthy food, home-made treats, minimal packaging. What more could you want?

What ideas do you have for the Nude Food lunch box? Please share so I can pass on your wisdom to the Tuesday lunch maker in this household.

8 comments:

1000 Homes of Happiness said...

oh dear...I am dreading school lunches next year. We have kindy lunches once a week and that tips me over the edge. Nude food rule at the girls kindy here. Lots of veggie sticks and fresh produce.

xoxo

Mama of 2 boys said...

Oh they look scrummy... just like the ones at Cookie Man :o) I love home made bikkies and sweet treats too. Somehow I can kid myself into believing that they're never quite as bad for us as the preservative laden packet biscuits. I'm sticking with that.
I fear school lunches will do my head in thoroughly when the time comes. Good luck with 'nude food' day, what a fab concept xo

Diminishing Lucy said...

We do a "no glitter" day (which is really no litter, no packaging etc) once a week. Hence my blog is filled with slices and biccies!

My other nude food options is cold sauages. Hardboiled eggs. Scotch eggs. Scrolls. Wraps.

xx

danneromero said...

looks yum!...
nude day... what a great idea!

therhythmmethod said...

When we do nude food, it's always fruit or carrot sticks, and a sandwich. Not very interesting here I'm afraid. I know I will have to step it up next year at big school when Boy 1 realises everybody's lunch is far more interesting than his own.
I made jelly bean biscuits with Boy 2 yesterday (his idea - GENIUS! to put jelly beans on top) and they were a hit. I used Planning with Kids recipe for 100s of biscuits, then just pushed a belly bean into the centre of each one. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Tricia said...

My fav nude foods are boiled eggs and cheese and vege sticks in a container. I package up all the 'bits and pieces' for our waste-free lunch boxes on a monday so that each day all I have to do is grab a selection of things i've already placed in small containers. Hope you don't mind me sharing a link - I talk about my lunch packing rhythm here: http://www.littleecofootprints.com/2010/08/organising-a-weeks-worth-of-wastefree-lunches.html

Maxabella said...

OH, it's a marketing event... I should have known!

It's nude food day at our place every day. I have an aversion to glad wrap when a container will do.

The bikkies are great, I make them a lot. You can freeze them as dough or as cooked biscuits. Both go really well. Good for you!! x

Maxabella said...

Um... just read about nude food day a bit more. NOT what we do at our place at all. I think my kids would starve, to be honest... x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...