Wednesday, 23 November 2011

First tooth fairy gig

Image from here
I walked through the door after work tonight to squeals of delight.

"Mum's home!"

"Race you!"

"Nugget lost his first tooth!"

The kids practically crash tackled me in the excitement and Dew Drop, Doo Dah and the Minx talked over the top of each other, finishing each other's sentences, trying to be the one with 'the news'.

Nugget, on the other hand, sat alone at the dinner table. Finishing his meal, as casual as can be.

After greeting and hugging the three children within my arms' reach, I made my way to the table to inspect the gappy smile of Nugget. He did not say a word, but opened his mouth and pointed to 'the spot'. His eyes smiled with the pride I knew he was feeling. A big moment. His Dad, looked on, also silent with a grin from ear to ear.

The Minx filled me in on the details (you can always trust the 'Boss' to know what is going on).

Apparently the big event occurred at school, during library class.

Apparently, the librarian rushed to place the tiny tooth into a tissue for safe keeping.

The tooth-filled tissue was placed on the top of the TV cabinet when Nugget arrived home after everybody had a look. Everyone had discussed how small it was and how big Nugget's new teeth will be.

Nugget and his Dad nodded and smiled.

Some time passed after the bombshell had been dropped. I made a few more inspections of Nugget's mouth (at the request of his over-excited siblings). Nugget remained as cool as a cucumber. Bloody six year old boys. They give you nothing!

When the others were racing to be the first in the bath, Nugget stayed back in the lounge room. He started with the questions.

"Will the tooth fairy come tonight, Mum?". I thought of my sister's blog post on the tardy toothfairy. "Uh-huh" I said (thinking how could I be late for my first ever tooth fairy gig?).

"How much money will she exchange for my tooth?" (Hmmmm...) I don't know. I say. "What is the going rate?" I ask. "$2" says Nugget. "All my friend's get $2 for a tooth. Do you think I will too?" (Hmmm...A quick calculation. $2 per tooth, 22 teeth, 4 mouths, that will be a pretty pricey exercise...) "I think you will definitely get $2 for your first tooth" I say (Note to self: check with sisters and friends what the going rate is).

"Where will I leave my tooth so she will find it?" (Hmmmm... I remember dreamily about a blog post I read in recent memory where the Mum had this gorgeous little box for the tooth fairy. I quickly think of an alternative and a cute little bag with a zip that I have in the cupboard springs to mind. I proceed to get it out and slip the tooth in) "Pop this under your pillow and look again in the morning" I say.

And so the family tradition is born. A quick scramble to pull the pieces together this time, but next time we will know the drill. Another dimension to the magic to childhood enters our home.

So tell me, what is the going rate for the tooth fairy at your place? Do you use one of those gorgeous little tooth fairy accessories like the one made by Boutique Accessory 72 above?

PS: Please take a little moment to vote for me in the Circle of Moms Top 25 Aussie Mum Blogs competition. No sign up required, just a quick click. You can do it once a day until the 8th Dec :-) Thanks in advance!

19 comments:

Diminishing Lucy said...

How exciting! Tell him well done from us too!

We have a $2 rate.

Olivia was given a dinky little silver pot for teeth, when she was a baby. She shares it. It is the "tooth tin".

I make them leave it on tip of their bedsides "so the tooth fairy doesn't get squished".

And I have an alarm in my iPhone. Just so I do not forget....

xx

Photographer Mum said...

I have absolutely no idea what the going rate is for the tooth fairy. We are yet to reach that milestone.
How exciting for Nugget!! And you!!

therhythmmethod said...

We're not there yet. Will come back to check the going rate.
Congrats Nugget :)

Life In A Pink Fibro said...

Unfortunately, a change in shift in Tooth Fairy duties took our rate from $1 to $2 between teeth three and four. Seriously. So $2 it remains. And she's always, always late... Damn that GPS.

Mama of 2 boys said...

What a beautiful story and so sweet that a little tooth can cause so much excitement amongst the siblings. Nugget must have felt like the bees knees this evening. I've heard $2 is the going rate, though hopefully we're a while off having to implement that particular trade ;o)
Good luck on your toothy gig xo
Heading over to vote for you now... well done on the nomination! :o)

Lisa said...

$2 is the going rate at our place. Amelia's currently wriggling two at the same time, probably hoping for a $4 jackpot! Enjoy your wings!

Kirsty @ Bowerbird Blue said...

The rate fluctuates in our house depending on the tooth and what's in the tooth fairies purse and any trauma received in extraction of tooth - usually a few coins and at least $1. We have a cute little tooth pillow and the tooth fairy has been tardy here too. That first tooth falling out is pretty amazing - remembering when they cut it and how sharp it was. My 7 year old is holding onto his full set but my 10 year old lost her first at 4.

Mrs Catch said...

Either one or two dollars. Whatever's in my purse. My kids could never tell the difference at that age.

Our tooth tradition is a bit different though. It has been passed down from older generations. I have no idea how it started. We put the tooth in a glass of water on the bedside table and in the morning, the tooth has been replaced by money. No, the fairy doesn't get wet. She's magic.

InkPaperPen said...

Got a couple of years ahead of us to figure it all out. Wonder what inflation will do to that $2! Congrats to Nugget and to you too. You've got your first set of tooth fairy wings x

Mum on the Run said...

Enjoy the gig - and try not to get covered in fairy dust!
:-)

tinsenpup said...

Yup, it's $2 here too. She has also been late a couple of times and once, after a traumatic tooth swallowing incident, there was a long note regaling us with her technique for retrieving lost, intestine strengthened teeth from the sewage farm. That one was worth a bit more on account of the extra "processing".

Diminishing Lucy said...

I forgot to mention - one of the most hilarious things about our tooth fairy tales over the brekky table is the recounting of the fact that "Mummy's tooth fairy only ever gave her 5p". The kids think this is amazing. Olden days!

(In actual fact Mummy's tooth fairy was always hungover and late so I often was given a whole pound to make up for it...)

Dolores said...

We haven't hit that milestone yet either but our tradition was the same as Mrs Catch (I'll have to ask my husband what his family did since my kids don't have bedside tables.

Maxabella said...

Go Nugs!

What is it with our kids hanging onto their teeth!?! x

Megan Blandford said...

How exciting!

Anonymous said...

hi to all pilesofwashing.blogspot.comers this is my frst post and thought i would say hello to you all -
thanks speak soon
gazza

danneromero said...

Ah, thanks for taking me down my own memory road... Great story!

cityhippyfarmgirl said...

Something gold in our house, that's what the fairies seem to leave. We are up to nearly number 4 at the moment, with the tooth in question getting a serious wiggling effort. Our dentist gives out little boxes, and the fairies always leave a little thank you note. Polite things they are!

Spayskdet said...

Blossom just lost her first tooth as well. She got FJD5 - given how strong the AUD is lately that's not much more than AUD2 - we tell her she got some extra $$ as she had to go to the dentist to have it pulled.

So nice to have some time to read your blog again - keep it up clever girl.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...