Monday, 21 November 2011

Planning, planning, planning...

Image from here
I have spent a lot of time over the last couple of weeks planning for Christmas. Or rather, planning to plan for Christmas.

This was going to be my year. I was going to channel my inner Planning with Kids, be super organised and slide into the event unscathed. I know, I know, big dreams. I am crap at the business of planning but a girl has to try right?

The fact that our family Christmas keeps changing venues, we have no Kris Kringle plans for the adults and there is the small issue of the Buy Nothing New thing have all added to my planning dilemmas. Lucky for me I will not be the lucky host (Sister A has that honour).

The fact that we have three of our children's birthdays at Christmas too (Doo Dah is Dec 17 and the twins on Christmas day) and Doo Dah has requested a Scooby Doo party has added to my planning dilemmas (although Maxabella has put together a pinboard for me if you are interested?).

The fact that we are camping for a week with friends up the coast from Dec 27 has added to my planning dilemmas. South for Christmas, north for camping. Much packing to be done.

The fact that the Geege turns 40 in early January and wants to recreate the music festivals of our youth by having a drumming workshop and a 'sleep over' at his family's farm for a small group of his closest friends and their families has added to my planning dilemmas.

Each time I sit down to take some action, I get overwhelmed by the enormity of it all and retreat into the comfort of my latest book (The Book Thief if you are wondering. And brilliant!).

Tonight is the night though. Tonight I am writing the Master Plan. I have to start the home-made gifts and the Christmas count-down calendar and the Christmas card list. I have to plan the gifts for all the family as well as Nugget's teacher and the daycare teachers and where I will source them. I have to sort out the budget, travel plans, and holiday leave at work. I have to finalise my Pay if Forward gifts because the one-year time frame is almost up!

It is beginning to feel a bit like Christmas...

Are you big on Christmas plans in the month before Christmas?

PS: Thanks to Mum on the Run who brilliantly cracked the riddle yesterday! I will try to rummage up another one next Sunday night...

14 comments:

PinkPatentMaryJanes said...

Oh my word, love, that's one mighty Dec/Jan you've got going on. I thought I had it tough with Christmas and my gal's birthday a few days later, that's why I plan like a demon...

Good luck x

Photographer Mum said...

Christmas is crazy! As you know I also have 2 out of 3 of my kids birthdays in Dec as well (go the Christmas Day babies!!) We have a few things coming up in the next few weeks and I am the chief organiser for all social events in this household and it can get seriously crazy. I feel your pain! Hope it all goes well :)

Jen R said...

I have only got as far as planning the plan for the plan for Xmas...lol How busy with 3 of the kids having bdays my Little Bit is 9 on the 18th and so far we have a 5 pae wish list a sleepover and dinner at the Chinese resturant!! Good luck!!

ClaireyHewitt said...

Stressed just reading about this.

Full on!

Though we also have two parties and on Christmas day will be having lunch with one family then driving 250kms to get to dinner to please everyone.

I attempted some online shopping tonight, got two gifts and realized the account was low, so went to twitter instead.

Diminishing Lucy said...

For the first time in forever I am feeling happy and chilled and organised. The evil sister in law will not be in attendance, hence my relaxed state. A quickie two day Christmas here in Adelaide, followed by nearly a month at Coasters Retreat. CANNOT WAIT...

Mum on the Run said...

Woooah.
I'm a tad overwhelmed on your behalf.
Getting those three items across the river unscathed was far easier than what you're up for in the next six weeks.
Gee - have I numbed your pain and eased your troubles there?!!
I hope the plan makes you feel better about it all.
Lists will be your friend.
:-)

Mrs Woog said...

Last year we cancelled Xmas and went to Bali for two months..... I want a do over!

A Farmer's Wife said...

Planning has been a bit hard here too - not sure if we will be finished harvest and hence not sure if we will be here or joining my own family (who will be over 600km away!!)

Have done all my shopping though which is good. Am trying to stay relaxed as there is not much more I can do until a decision is made re our venue! Oh well.

Mama of 2 boys said...

Oh my word, I think I'll just shut up about my planning woes for Christmas now, they ain't got nothing on your lot :o/
We have Angus' birthday a week after Christmas, which definitely always adds to the planning dilemmas... but seriously, twins on Christmas Day and a Scooby Doo party to plan for... you win the dilemma fest hands down. Feeling for you and I'm certain you'll pull it all together beautifully :o) xo

Kate said...

Blimey...I'm worn out just reading that post!

My family do Secret Santa (for the grown-ups). It has revolutionized Christmas! Would wholeheartedly recommend!

bigwords is... said...

Just break down the jobs into bite sized pieces. One job a day, rather than overwhelming yourself. And as for The Book Thief - I love that book x

The Hand of a Jeanie said...

Argh, Christmas!! This year, it is all about my father-in-law. Sadly, it is very likely to be his last Christmas. And because everyone else was so organised with their annual leave early in the year, I will be working night duty over the Christmas weekend. Of course, if FIL is in a bad way, I will join hubby and the girls in Melbourne with the rest of the family. All I have to do is a ham. And we are only giving pressies to the kids.

My in-laws also have five birthdays in December just to add to spending woes.

But I do love getting into the spirit of Christmas.

therhythmmethod said...

Yikes. I don't know how you manage your Buy Nothing New challenge at the same time as organising 3 birthdays and Christmas.
I'm thinking write it all down, then cut every job into a little piece and start piecing it back together in the order that it needs to be done.
Thank crap you don't have Christmas at your house! Imagine? Actually, don't.

katepickle said...

You sound just like me... I put on my To Do list 'write list for Christmas' LOL
Mind you one trip into the suburbs to a shopping centre got me into action on the presents at least. I do not want to be anywhere near that place after the end of November!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...