Tuesday, 20 December 2011

Housekeeping...

This time last year I was busily making plans for the new year, writing wrap-ups of the best movies in 2010, the movers and shakers, there was even a mention of phoenix of the year (which I awarded to Kevin Rudd but someone picked up could easily have been given to Geoff Huegill).

This year there will be no 'best of's, not even a post about lessons learnt. Unfortunately, I just do not have the time to think these things through. So instead my final post for 2011 will be a list.

THE LIST
  • I keep failing to follow through on things. For example, the garage sale we had last month went pretty well. I sold 71 items and shipped the rest of the stuff off to the charity store. Made a few bucks and decluttered too. Win:win. All the preparation paid off. So sorry Mel that I failed to write a follow-up post. I hope you have forgiven me?
  • I am better at entertaining than I thought. Doo Dah had the best Scooby Doo birthday party at the weekend. I was proud of myself for pulling off a eviable party on a budget. Doo Dah has been insisting on wearing Shaggy 'whiskers' every day since. So easy and so cute (Dew Drop copies and is edible). We backed up on the same day with a Christmas gathering. Exhausting.
  • Kids grow up before your eyes. Doo Dah attended his final days at daycare as he transitions to big school. He is starting to read some words, puts together some spectacular constructions from blocks, colours between the lines and spends most of his time driving his siblings mad. God I am going to miss him next year.
  • Blink and you miss it. Nugget has successfully traversed another school year. The end of year celebrations included Musical Heights (where he surprised me no end with the improvement in his dancing abilities and how incredibly gorgeous he looks in blue eyeshadow). He survived the composite class that I so dreaded, losing teeth, renegotiating friendships and while there have been some very tricky parenting moments, be has grown up so much.
  • Love comes in many forms. Nugget and I developed a love affair with Harry Potter this year. His will go on hold for awhile but I will savour mine into the New Year. I bought myself the forth book for Christmas. Sneaky.
  • Time moves on. We do not own a cot, a high chair or a change table anymore. End of an era thanks to the Minx and Dew Drop moving into beds, sitting at the table for meals and getting themselves toilet trained! A big year for them.
  • Something needs to be done about the housing situation for this family. The Geege and I debated whether to move or renovate for much of the year. At this point we have swung back to "move", so we shall tackle that in 2012. Anyone know a good suburb on the Central Coast?
  • We still don't have chickens (or a usable compost). The chooks I have been talking about all year? They now have a coop and will be brought into our home in January. After our trip to Fibrotown for Christmas and up north camping with friends over New Year. The kids cannot wait. The naming game has begun. And I thought naming twins was hard?
  • There has to be a way of keeping track of all the books I read. I need to remember to write my book list from 2011 in 2012. I read some fabulous books that you should definitely check out. And Karen, you friend Torre is a lovely writer! I am completely enjoying Swept. Thank you so much for slipping me a copy.
  • I have enjoyed all the challenges I have set myself this year. I still have to reconcile my 52in52 list, which I will do in early January. There is a bit of time left to finalise a few things...
  • Christmas killed the BNN challenge. While I have been incredibly dedicated to the Buy Nothing New cause this year, the Christmas frenzy has got the better of me. I am disappointed with myself but unfortunately I have run out of time to make all the things I had planned. Don't worry. I have whipped myself (which I kind of enjoyed) and promise to be back on the wagon. Piss poor effort.
  • I will be having a giveaway! I will be tackling a new weightloss challenge (90 days) with the Food Patrol. The best bit is that one of you will be able to join me because they have agreed to sponsor an And then there were four reader too. More information to come, but if your New Years Resolution is 'get healthy', you need to tune in in January for the opportunity you have been looking for.
The next Weekend Rewind will be January 6th, 2012 hosted by EmmaK over at Mummy's Got a Headache. She is both fun and funny and I would love you to support her as hostess by linking up an old post for some new comment love.

Thanks a million for reading my blog this year. Thanks for all your comments and emails and Facebook interactions. Please come again next year when I return xx

20 comments:

Photographer Mum said...

What a fab year it has been! My blog is almost 1!
As for moving house - we have been searching on the Central Coast too but it is currently on hold till we save more $$. I have heard both good and bad things about different suburbs so I am really no help there, sorry...
I will be checking out the giveaway most definitely. I'm really not motivated at the gym at the moment cause my fave instructor resigned :( My aim for 2012 is to be happy with my body (all trimmed and toned) by the time I turn 30 (June).
Great reading this year MM. Looking forward to seeing you soon!

Kindred Spirits said...

HI! It's mt first time here-lovely blog-have a great christmas, Belinda

Mama of 2 boys said...

Ahhh, have thoroughly enjoyed finding you and then following along with your adventures this year MM.
A very merry Christmas to you and yours, hope you have a little relaxation time squeezed in there somewhere :o) xo

therhythmmethod said...

Love your blog and love this post. You're very honest and practical and just get on with things, and it's so refreshing to come here in my trackies and talk shop.
Love that you're enjoying the book, I suspected you'd enjoy. It's no Harry Potter, but it's a page turner. ;)
And if you decide to come to Melbs for the DP Conference next year, you're welcome to have a sleepover at mine. It's no Hilton, but it's tres noice.
Check out Al's blog for baby names, might inspire some chook names?
Merry christmas to you and yours. See you in 2012 xx

A Farmer's Wife said...

I hope you have a wonderful Christmas and a great New Year and holiday.

Take care.

Tat @ Mum in search said...

Funny you mentioned 'best of' lists. I tried to make up a few today and in each category I could come up with no more than 2 items... So unless I write a list of top 10 things (all kind of different things) I won't have much of a list.

I'll have one at school next year, too. Still hard to believe.

I think you've done great to make it this far with the BNN challenge. Don;t be so harsh on yourself, few of us can resist Christmas temptations.

Have a fantastic Christmas and all the best for the New Year!

Mum on the Run said...

What a year for your lot.
You have been so inspiring to read.
Have a beautiful break with your gorgeous family.
:-)

1000 Homes of Happiness said...

A wonderful year of blogging. I love coming back to this lovely little spot...one of my favs. We are also contemplating a move or extension. I feel we have outgrown this little home of ours.

Merry Christmas from our little home to yours. I love this list!

I look forward to reading in 2012.

xoxox

p.s - God I'm going to miss my little two when they start school next year as well.

Miss Pink said...

I think you've done really well with your BNN! I mean if you can't break it at Christmas when can you?
I think you've still passed. Don't be too hard on yourself.

Jen R said...

Merry Christmas, enjoy your break so we can all charge ahead fresh into 2012 :)

E. said...

I think that is a good round up of your year.

Enjoy your Christmas, family and holiday time. Read you in the new year.

Miss Mandy said...

yay, we can support one another. I'm doing the food patrol challenge too. I've got my pre reading and I'm going to read on our travels over xmas.
Sounds like a good plan, I need help with the motivation. Bring it on! good luck.

Ali said...

Have a fabulous Christmas and New year.

Jen said...

Merry Christmas Multiple Mum, I really enjoy reading your blog, if I had to choose only five - ten blogs to read forever more yours would be amongst them. Thank you. Enjoy your holidays and I look forward to reading more of your adventures in 2012

Christie - Childhood 101 said...

Love this post :) What a year you've enjoyed. Can't wait to see what 2012 holds for your lovely family. Wishing you all the very best for Christmas xx

Megan Blandford said...

Hope you have a wonderful Christmas, MM, and I look forward to reading more in the new year!

Leanne said...

Just wanted to let you know I really enjoy your blog - and read if first when I sit down with google reader. I like your writing style, your honesty and lots more. I was really interested in your BNN and would love more information about it. Have a lovely Christmas and look forward to hearing about your 2012 adventures.

danneromero said...

great thoughts...
thank you for stopping by and reading my posts, mum.... i truly appreciate it...
yes, we are on different spectrums as far as parenting is concerned, yet, i say, stay true to what you believe is the right way to raise your children... consistency definitely pays off...
happy holidays to you and yours...
daphne

EmmaK said...

Happy New Year! I look forward to the Food Patrol. I feel very virtuous because I started my diet at end of October so have lost 12lb so didn't feel like crying when I step on the scales on New Year's Day. But I can defo use to lose a few more pounds. I hope you will join me on the Rewind! xx

Kymmie said...

Happy New Year Coo! Love your catch up... heck, I haven't even done one.

But I didn't give you my laminated list (how I love LinkWithin)!

See you soon. xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...