Thursday, 19 January 2012

The countdown begins

Image from here
I realised today that I only have a little over a week to get organised for school.

Doo Dah is making his grand entrance into the world of schooling on January 31. He is super keen to go. We have been working on it for awhile now and I even have a certificate from the OT saying he is ready to go! It is me who is not ready. It is time to crank up the volume on the action front.

We have school shoes to buy. School uniforms to attain. Haircuts to have. Stationery supplies to acquire. And the Harry Potter exhibition to visit (I promised we would go in the school holidays).

And then there is the issue of letting go.

I remember feeling huge amounts of angst as Nugget started school. A lot of this, I thought, was about whether or not we had made the right decision about sending him. Being an April birthday, it felt like a choice. Send or 'hold back'. We chose to send. He has coped really well, most of the time.

I have discovered though that I feel much the same about sending number two to school. He seems so little; so young. Surely he won't be able to manage all that is expected of him in the kindergarten?

With him at school, it is a case of two down, two to go. All of a sudden their early childhood seems to have gone so fast. Can't I keep him a bit longer?

We had a 'dry run' of how life will be with just the twins and me at home today. The boys had a sleepover at their Nan's place with their cousin and Auntie last night. I missed them of course, but boy was it easy doing the rounds of the fish shop, chicken shop and local farms for fruit and veges with only TWO kids in tow. I could get used to it...

But then they came home, and although the bickering commenced almost immediately, it felt whole again.

Have you got a child starting school in 2012? How are your preparations going?

15 comments:

Mrs Catch said...

Time for the next phase of life in the Multiple household. I've found that each stage holds different challenges and blessings. Strangely, as you pass through each stage, somehow it always feels like the "best" one yet. Enjoy your (more) peaceful shopping trips.

Madam Bongani said...

Enjoy the final action packed days you have planned. It's a big step for you and him, but such an exciting one too......ENJOY!!

E. said...

How exciting for you both. I cried when both my children started school but they both loved it. Enjoy having everyone at home for the next little while, I'm sure you'll enjoy having one less to do groceries etc with this year.

Caitlin said...

I have my eldest starting school. Certainly there are tinges of sadness. At least I have the reassurance that I know that he is ready. (And I can't help but look forward to not having to deal with his constant teasing of his younger brother...)

Nat - Muddy Farmwife said...

My eldest is starting school this year, I am incredibly anxious about this, but trying not to let it show, so she doesn't pick up on it!
Have sorted the shoes, most of the uniform and peripherals, but still I think I've forgotten something!
It's always lovely to have mini breaks from one or more of the kids, but more lovey to have them back home together under one roof.
Enjoy Harry Potter and the last week before he becomes a 'school boy'.

Mama of 2 boys said...

Oh I don't know how I'm going to cope when it's my turn to 'let go' next year :o( Already gives me butterflies thinking about it. The early childhood years DO go so fast don't they!?
Angus starts his new preschool next week and he can hardly contain himself. I wonder if he will feel as enthusiastic about starting big school.
Good luck with the 'return to school prep' and Doo Dah's first day, it will undoubtedly be a tiring experience for both of you xo

Photographer Mum said...

Yep, same boat (as you know). I still have to get the uniforms and shoes organised too. Other than that, I have not prepared at all. To be honest I am kinda looking forward to it.

InkPaperPen said...

Yep! My first starts kindy on Feb 1st! I'm excited but a little worried too. He keeps telling us he doesn't want to go but we are making progress. Fingers crossed! It helps to hear that I am not the only mum feeling torn about it all.

Diminishing Lucy said...

I miss mine such a lot when they are at school. I have blogged about it a fair bit. As soon as they rushed into my world, these babies grew up and went to school.

I should have bottled 2008 when I had a 2,3 and 4 year old at home with me.

That said, I get prouder and prouder of how well they are all adjusting happily to school. I sense you will be the same...

xx

Nicky Singh said...

I have been living overseas for the past 12 months, a few months ago my middle son (16 years) informed me that he wanted to go back home to Australia as he missed school.

With much reluctance I allowed him to go home,Although he has a lot of family help from grandparents, I felt really sad and overwhelmed letting go. It doesn't matter what age your kids are, letting go is always difficult.

I have spent the last two months organising enrollments, books uniforms etc.I'm over it!!!

Nicky Singh

therhythmmethod said...

Mr 5 starts on 8 Feb. He's pumped, but we're both a bit scared. We have the uniform, the shoes, the bag, and we pick up the books on 30 Jan. Other than that, we need to do a few practice runs of the drop off because even though we live 5 mins walk from school, it seems to take 30 mins to get from our door to the classroom.
I'm staying positive and trying to enjoy the last few days of having him at home full time.

Rhonda said...

I remember my son's first day of Kindy. I cried. He did not.

Lisa H said...

Oh dear! There must be something wrong with me... It's been many years since my boys started school but I still remember happily waving goodbye and skipping out the gate (off to work!). Both times. I never hesitated and neither did they.

Good luck school mums!

Ms K @ Mummybrain said...

I almost don't have time for it! Getting married in 2 weeks, then a 7 yo on the 10th Feb, a 9 yo on the 20 Feb, a 7 yo on the 17th Mar, then a 5yo on the 25th Mar! Such a busy time of year.

She can't wait to go though, and be like all the others! It will be so good for her. But yes, I'll cry :(

•´.¸¸.•¨¯`♥.Trish.♥´¯¨•.¸¸.´• said...

I hear you , losing two at once is making me feel so sad , the upside is they will have an instant best buddy especIlally since they will know no one . That makes my heart glad.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...