Tuesday, 10 January 2012

The Geege turns forty

A big smooch from me! Image from here.
The Geege turns forty tomorrow. 40! That is 18 with 22 years experience.

I met him when he was just 25. He has gotten 15 years older, gained and lost 10 kilos and grown an inch in the time that I have known him. I have loved him through all of it.

He has been spruiking about how his is totally cool with turning 40. Being forty means he no longer cares what others think of him, he says. He has come to terms with the fact that he can't flirt anymore because he will be perceived as a sleazy, old man (I may have pointed that out to him). And he can finally admit to liking country music without being accused of being a grandpa (by me who has been finding the TV channel stuck on the country music station for some time while he is up late 'working').

Here are a few things that I have noticed about my husband as he has approached this milestone.

Like many men in their forties, hair grows in all sorts of places that isn't his head. In fact, his head has become the least likely place to see a hair on his body. All my wisecracks about 'human carpets' in my youth have come to haunt me!

Grey is the new black.

The Geege is marrying the mid-life crisis with the peak of his endurance running and doing the North Face 100 ultra-marathon in May. Just because he can. Just because he is not an old man. Right? All the training should at least help stave off the black dog that statistically likes to come calling as people reach 40 (but do precious little for my mental health!). And, let's face it. It is much more environmentally and financially friendly than a red porsche.

He doesn't get all the stuff about social networking all those young folk go on about. There is no need for him to join Facebook or LinkedIn and enter the 21st Century, he says. He knows who his friends are. And he loves them. Almost as much as he loves his clan.

He is a wise, generous and handsome man. In the last decade, we have gotten married, travelled the world, had four kids, started two businesses, and bought a house. Time will only tell what the next 10 years will bring for the Geege, but I am excited to be in the passenger seat.

Have the happiest birthday love. Life begins at 40.

Have you hit 40 yet? Any tips for the Geege?

15 comments:

Lisa H said...

I turned 40 almost 11 months ago... it's not so bad.

Remember that saying... "you're only as old as you feel"?..

trouble is, some days I feel a whole heap older than my years!

Mum on the Run said...

No tips - but he sounds like he's got it all sorted there.
:-)

Jen R said...

Hey Lisa H I thought it was "you're only as old as the man you feel"...lol and 40 is the new 30 ..I told myself that 4 years ago and its workin for me :)

ClaireyHewitt said...

He may not need social media for himself, but it is good to have an idea of what all those young kids are doing these days. Otherwise you end up like my Mum, who never needs a mobile phone and still asks me to fax her things on the email. Keep up!

Nat - Muddy Farmwife said...

Happy Birthday to The Geege. He sounds like he's got it all under control and with a great passenger along for the ride he should be right.

Miss Pink said...

Happy Birthday Geege!

danneromero said...

40? so... many years ago. LOL

happy birthday, geege!

therhythmmethod said...

Sounds like he's got 40 sorted. He's done a lot of living, and there's so much more to come. Happy birthday Geege!

Kim H said...

A big Happy Birthday to your Geege:) I'm feeling a litle nervy - I'm 40 in March. Doesn't time fly? xx

Charis said...

Happy birthday to the Geege!

Tricia said...

I hope my husbands mid-life crisis is as healthy as the geege's.

I'm 40 on a few months and am celebrating by walking 100km in wildendurance. part of it is definitely about proving I still can do things like that despite my age. well at least I hope I can ;-)

1000 Homes of Happiness said...

Happiest of birthdays Mr Geege! C I have giggled my way through this post.

Should I be worried that some of these revelatons have begun to occur in my man and he is still a little way off 40?

xoxoxo

Mama of 2 boys said...

A beautiful tribute MM. The Geege sounds scarily similar to my Scott... currently 38, but already prepping for 40 ;o)
The hair growing in all kinds of places, check! He never stops complaining about the ear hairs, ewww!
And the social networking, check check! He 'chooses' not to become involved... of course he does ;o)
Hope The Geege had the happiest of birthdays, I have no doubt he would have xo

Life In A Pink Fibro said...

40 rocks! Just ask more than half of the rest of your family!

Kymmie said...

Happy Birthday Geege! Wow, 40. Where does the time go? Really?

I had the big 40 in September, and I admit that it's kind of been a biggie for me. Time to get moving on the self-actualisation! Well, that's how it's been for me. Not an immediate wondering, but definitely a delayed one.

I wonder it he'll go through the same thing...

Anyhow, love that grey is the new black!

(And did he freak out that you mentioned his big number on your blog, because I'm not ALLOWED to say how old my husband is...) But you can do the math...

So, Coo, when are YOU 40? (Are you much younger than Bron?)

x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...