Tuesday, 3 April 2012

Blogging without the internet

Image from here
There is something going on at our place at the moment. Ever since the 'big rains' our internet has packed it in. It is like living in the early '90s. No email. No Facebook. No Google. No Reading Eggs or Mathletics. No blogging.

We have been having "the troubles" for the past couple of months but initially we had snippets of usage during the day (if we unplugged the modem, counted to ten then replugged it). But for the last week? Lights flashing. Nobody home.

I have come to realise that blogging without the internet is pretty hard. I know! I am a genius!

I can't publish stuff that I write*. I can't read stuff that you write. I can't comment. I can't get my emails.

But I still kept recording things in my head, and writing blog post titles in lists in my phone and wondering how the Conference went and wondering what I should do about this blog of mine.

The service provider is scratching their head about what the problem is, so I won't be back at this gig regularly any time soon. But I really miss it. And I miss reading your blogs too.

In the meantime, I am hanging with the Geege and kids, reading (I can recommend "Freedom" by Johnathon Franzen for a big American novel and "King of the Cross" by Mark Dapin for a gritty underbelly-esque read) and watching TV. I really hope to be back soon.

What do you do when you can't blog?

* I have borrowed the services of a friend's computer for the purpose of posting this

16 comments:

therhythmmethod said...

I was wondering where you were, you svelte thing. Our internet plays up too in windy or stormy weather. True story. This is precisely why I will never sing the praises of the internet, because it's just as fallible as any other part of the world, real or virtual.
The conference was OK, not great. I've written a post about it but not published because I'm worried it will ruffle feathers. Can't decide if I'm being honest or overly negative. Possibly both.
Look forward to having you back once the rain clears :)

Something Gorgeous said...

Very frustrating, I know the feeling. Turning our modem off for 20 seconds and then turning it back on helped in our home! G. x

Mum on the Run said...

That's no good - being out of action.
Haven't you told them that you have a blog???!!!
:-) xxx

Diminishing Lucy said...

At the risk of being a nerdy girl, is it just a case of needing a new modem? Ours played up, gradually getting worse, earlier this year. new modem = all fixed.

Either way, I miss you. xx

Dolores said...

I have an iPhone app called Reeder which is awesome for keeping up with my blog reading when I'm away from home. OK so it can be slow with 3G but there's free WIFI around everywhere, cafes, McDonalds etc.

dxx

Mrs Woog said...

Pen and paper? I actually like a technology and blogging break, but only when I choose! Xxx

Amy@MyLifeasaCake said...

I hear you on this! I just got our internet back today and am soaking up the missed blog posts! Hopefully yours is all sorted out soon.

emma @ frog, goose and bear said...

I'm with Mrs Woog - Blog breaks can be a good thing, but only at a time of your choosing. I was wondering why u were not around as often as well. Enjoy all the free time you now have! ;)

Miss Pink said...

I would probably camp out at my local library, or rush out in a panic and buy a new modem hoping that it's just that I need a new one and not something else.
Also I would call Telstra (or your service provider) up and demand they fix the problem. Yes, that would be my first step. Then the rest.
Obviously I would be a mess, and I would be pissed I couldn't google WTF the problem was.
How are we supposed to solve problems these days when we can't access Google? Ridiculous!

Lol.
Hope you're back soon x

Nat - Muddy Farmwife said...

We had no computer for about a month, it sucked, everything suffered, blog, bookwork, accounts, photos. BUT I did get a good but of reading done, reduced my book pile by several books, it was great, something I haven't done in so long.
We have pretty crap Internet out here, so if it's too windy we get no Internet, if it's too hot the modem overheats. Last time my modem wasn't working we had to get a new power pack for it. Hope your problem is solved soon!

Maxabella said...

I sleep. x

Coal Valley View said...

I miss you too xx

I don't like being disconnected. There were some times on the trip where we had no access with the laptop but the iPhone was fine and I did a couple of posts entirely on the iPhone. I would recommend sleeping and reading an watching telly instead of that though :-)

Mama of 2 boys said...

Ohhh MM, that is crappy. I have noticed the lack of posts coming through from you, but just figured you must have been super busy. To be honest, I can't really cope without the internet. Didn't have it for years, hooked it up just after Angus was born and for the past 4 years have been gradually becoming more immersed in it. I dread the day my lappy packs it in, because having it happen to my previous Macbook, I know it WILL happen eventually. Like yourself, I LOVE reading blogs and writing my own and commenting etc... Though the upside is you would have lots more free time. I do hope you find a solution soon though, missing you xo

Ms M said...

We had a similar problem for weeks. Reaaly frustrating. Turns out some telstra hardware on outside of our house had worn out. Nice telstra man came out and fixed it in 15 minutes. Hooray for working internet.

Quill and Ink Handmade said...

Hoping that it's fixed soon! Have missed reading your posts :)

x

Christie - Childhood 101 said...

I cannot even imagine how frustrating that would be...well, maybe the first few days of forced 'rest' would be useful but after that!?!?!? I hope they find a solution soon because you are missed :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...