Tuesday, 15 May 2012

100

Image from here

The Geege is lining up at The North Face 100 this weekend. It is the pinnacle of trail runs in Australia, held in the spectacular Blue Mountains (100kms). He is doing it solo, although there are over 900 competitors in the race (I know!) so hopefully he will be surrounded by others. He will climb the equivalent of 1500 stories. He hopes to complete it in less than 20 hours (the elite guys go under 10 hours).

The Geege has never even run a marathon.

It is how he operates. Extremes. Risk taking. Why do something so 'normal' as a marathon when there is a world of ultra trail running to explore?

I have no idea how anyone runs 100kms, least of all a Dad of four with his own business, but as his little support crew, I guess I will see it all in action on Saturday.

He printed off the 'support crew manual' yesterday. It outlines my duties! I suspect I will spend most of the time between checkpoints navigating my way to the next one. Surely he had someone more capable than me to do this?

It will be a weekend without the kids but unfortunately, instead of laying in and enjoying the quiet, I will be serving the Geege hot soup at 3am in three degree temperature while I patch up his blisters and change his socks! That's love for you.

Wish him luck.


21 comments:

•´.¸¸.•¨¯`♥.Trish.♥´¯¨•.¸¸.´• said...

Wow - that is so amazing - Go Geege and you are just as awesome being there to support him.

Maxabella said...

That bloody Geeg. x

Kelly Exeter said...

Wood! Support crew for something like Northface is a big job. You will need your own support crew Chris! Good luck to Geege - 100km is a bloody long way!

Kelly Exeter said...

Obviously that should have been 'Wooo' not 'Wood'!

ClaireyHewitt said...

I have been support crew before and if I can give you a few tips they are:

Bribe a friend to come along. I was so so bored and then when I got lost in the bush at 3am it was pitch dark and horrible, with a friend it would have been a bit funny.

Take lots of things to keep yourself warm.

Pack extra voltaren for Geege.

Hope it all goes well!

Emily said...

Luck luck luck! And I hope you enjoy it, too. x

Coal Valley View said...

That's super impressive. Good luck to The Geege, hope it all goes well!! And I look forward to the after Post :-)

Sarah said...

Lots of luck Geege and yes, beg, bribe or kidnap a friend to keep you company!

Nat - Muddy Farmwife said...

Oh my goodness, good luck to the Geege! That is a great task to set yourself.
Good Luck as support crew too, I must say I'd be looking for some company to help support!

Mama of 2 boys said...

Now that is really something beautiful. That kind of commitment and dedication to the cause speaks volumes MM. What a woman you are... and The Geege sounds like he goes alright too, 100km trail run sounds like utter madness, but so cool at the same time.
Go team Geege! xo

Mum on the Run said...

Wow!
That's huge - for both of you.
Best of luck.
I look forward to hearing the race report.
Don't forget the Vaseline!
:-) xx

Diminishing Lucy said...

Oh wow - he is a brave brave man! And you, you're a nice wife - if it was Andrew, I'm not sure I'd be so accomodating for the 3am checkpoints!

I wish you both the very best of luck!

xx

Erin said...

Wow oh wow!! Supporting Geege, go for it! and you are awesome!! wat love.

Tricia said...

I'm so impressed! We encountered loads of people training for North Face when we were training for Wildendurence - they were everywhere!

I cannot comprehend how hard it would be. Attempting to walk 100km is crazy enough - but running it!!??

But i'm certain the Geege will make it. Good luck!!!

And look after yourself too MM - It's surprisingly hard on the support crew. Daddy Eco didn't get much sleep when he was supporting us and racing from checkpoint to checkpoint and then setting everything up in time was stressful. Atleast your dealing with just one man - he was dealing with five tired and hungry women ;-)

Enjoy the kid free time.

E. said...

Good luck to Geege and to you. Look after yourselves.
I hope Geege makes his 24 hour goal.

At Number 32 said...

Go Geeg!! Will be thinking of you (and your support crew!) wishing you all the best of luck and sunny skies xx

At Number 32 said...

Go Geeg!! Will be thinking of you (and your support crew!) wishing you all the best of luck and sunny skies xx

Seana Smith said...

Bloody hell!! That is one serious running situation. Hope he is stuffing Mars Bars into his gub in preparation. Am in awe, it's a huge event. Good luck to him and to you as crew.

karencharlton said...

Luck! x

Quill and Ink Handmade said...

What a crazy man!
But hurrah! for challenges and for family at the finishing line :)

xx

emma @ frog, goose and bear said...

That really is love! Go Geeg!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...