Friday, 11 May 2012

Where I reveal what sort of friend I really am

Image from here
Following the shopping trolley incident yesterday, I thought things couldn't get any worse.

We took it easy in the afternoon. The low following the adrenalin high made me subdued. I spent a lot of time holding my pair of three year olds tight, thinking about how quickly life can change.

We picked the boys up from school and attending soccer training. I couldn't actually tell anyone about what had happened. Fearing judgement. Feeling embarrassed.

We got home and the Geege was whipping up dinner. Dew Drop and I were grooving to a few tunes while we created a salad to complete the meal. I was starting to feel like things were going to be okay. We are all alive and well. That is all that matters.

Then we heard a loud cracking noise; an explosion of sorts. I quickly looked over at the Geege, surprised to find that the ceramic cook top had shattered while he was using it. The safety glass was in a million pieces; the element still red hot.

The Geege was remarkably unharmed. No random electric shock. No shards of glass in his eyes or skin.

Dew Drop and I were unscathed too.

Another near miss. Unbelievable.

They say that things happen in threes. I am a bit superstitious like that. Last night I kept expecting something else to happen.

And then it did.

My friend M reiterated a story from his day when we were at our trivia planning meeting last night. His story started with "I nearly had a head on in Galston Gorge this morning". I interjected with a relieved "That is great to hear!"* before he could finish his story.

Everyone stared at me. Not quite the socially acceptable response to a friend's near death experience, right?

It took a bit of explaining but everyone understood in the end. M's story was harrowing, but he had survived. Just like we all had. We had a giggle and closed the door on that trio of near-misses.

Are you a bit superstitious too? Do you think things happen in threes?

* I may have even thrown in an air punch. I am like that. People love being friends with me!

11 comments:

Nat - Muddy Farmwife said...

That is so something I would do. I am superstitious, 'touch wood' and all that, know it's silly but can't help myself!

Mum on the Run said...

I'm definitely in the superstitious camp.

Just this morning, I was thinknig that if we can get through this damn 'Magoo being scanned for a suspected brain tumour' thing safely, then that's our three.
In the last month my Hubby has lost his job, I have been mugged and Magoo is mid health scare as I type.
The trio.

I would have been relieved last night too - and scared witless by the two near misses.
xxx

Cathy said...

I do believe that sometimes things happen in threes! Glad everyone was ok!

Diminishing Lucy said...

In spooky coindicence, last time I had dinner with a very close friend, we had a cooktop explosion too. A curry spoiled by shards of glass...

I have been fretting over your trolley experience.

Things... can only get better..♫♫

At Number 32 said...

Wow, so glad the family is still all in one piece. What a day! Hoping today is happily uneventful for you xx

Maxabella said...

Oh thank goodness, I was a bit worried about babysitting tonight!! x

Mama of 2 boys said...

Yep, I tend to lean towards the superstitious side. The bad things coming in three's always makes me uneasy and I never know whether it truly is the case or that I just make myself look for three random incidents, to prove the point.
Though those near miss kind of things do freak me out. I find it difficult not to go over a million scenarios about what 'could' have been.
Glad you got through the day relatively unscathed MM xo

Kymmie said...

Oh my! Your poor family. Poor you!

So glad you're okay. That you're ALL okay. I'm not superstitious as a general rule, but definitely freaked out by the Rules Of Three. (Kind of negates the not superstitious thing, right?)

Let's hope this is all the dramas and life goes back to its usual chaos.

Hugs. Kymmie xx

pam said...

My son stepped out into the path of an articulated lorry when he was about their age because the ball he was bouncing as we walked into town, bounced into the road. My driver was also reactionary and traumatised. Now my son is 15, I can still see the driver's face and also the guilt as my mother had nagged me to leave the ball at home and I'd ignored her.
As far as 3's go, it's a great rule for eating cakes! :)

Life In A Pink Fibro said...

PMSL! An air punch as well! I wish I'd been there to see his face.... Glad you are all okay!

The Pepperrific Life said...

Thank God nobody got hurt!
I have to admit that I am superstitious too :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...