Wednesday, 9 May 2012

Where the wild things aren't

Image from here
My day was book ended* today with stories about Maurice Sendak's death (he's the author of Where the wild things are, amongst other things).

On my way to work I heard President Obama reading the story:


And then, this afternoon on my way home, I heard the journalist who wrote this delightful piece being interviewed. He spoke of the ritual of reading Where the Wild Things Are to his son when he was two years old. Over and over. He spoke of the connection the story (and the ritual of reading it) brought to their relationship. I can relate. We love a bedtime story here.

I was excited to hear that Maurice Sendak has other books to explore. Equally awesome and adventurous, apparently, but (perhaps) less well known.

There is In the Night Kitchen, which is the story of a young boy's dream journey through a baker's kitchen where he helps bake a cake. It has been subject to censorship issues over the years because it features a naked boy. Egad!

And there is Outside over there; the story of a young girl who has to babysit her sister and imagines her being taken by goblins.**

We are going to track these babies down!

Rest in peace Mr Sendak. And thanks. We love your work.

Do you have a copy of Where the Wild Things Are? What is your favourite bit?

* Sorry about the pun!
** From the descriptions of the story lines, I can sense that Sendak has a 'style'. 


9 comments:

Libby said...

Ooh yes, ours is a well worn soft cover edition:)
Completely missed that piece of news...thanks for mentioning it.

Miss Pink said...

I adored this book growing up as do my children.
I am sad to hear he has passed away.

Outside over there reminds me of a movie...a very popular movie in fact. Hmmmmm.

Mama of 2 boys said...

We do indeed MM. I have a copy from my own childhood and we have received a cleaner, refreshed copy for the boys. It truly is a classic and means so much to so many people out there.
Thank you for the heads up on those other stories, they sound just as magical and imagination inducing as Where the Wild Things Are.
xo

Kirsty @ Bowerbird Blue said...

We have a well loved copy, we also adored the movie, my son was so involved he cried big tears at the end. Ahh to be a wild thing.

Luna said...

My favourite part is the illustrations! No, seriously, that's why I picked it up as a child. We have a copy for our kids too.

ANB said...

Tracking down some of his other books is also on our to do list. There's an interesting article about him here: http://www.philnel.com/2012/05/09/sendakandme/

ally said...

We love Where the Wild Things are too - the Doc even has the t-shirt.
Found the baking one very weird...but then when you think about the wild things..maybe not so much.
Haven't seen the movie yet...on the list

Kimberley Atkinson said...

I had his goblin story but gave it away ages ago - not my style at all - very very spooky with faceless goblins. I am a school librarian and wouldn't put it into the library either.
Bit everything else of his is an absolute gem and I must have read Where the Wild Things Are over a dozen times since I heard about Sendak's death. Children's picture books owe a lot to him!

Kimberley Atkinson said...

I had his goblin story but gave it away ages ago - not my style at all - very very spooky with faceless goblins. I am a school librarian and wouldn't put it into the library either.
Bit everything else of his is an absolute gem and I must have read Where the Wild Things Are over a dozen times since I heard about Sendak's death. Children's picture books owe a lot to him!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...