Wednesday, 6 June 2012

What do you get when you cross an opinionated Mum with a State MP?

Image from here
I turned up at the P&C Committee meeting tonight. Our local Member was coming and I just had to hear what he had to say about all this Local schools, Local decisions business.

And so we did our P&C business, and then the politician was given the stage.He is a nice, young bloke. Articulate. Well versed in local issues and local concerns.

I just don't agree with him.

I don't think that decentralising the Education Department is the best option in the long run. I don't think the impact will be on the front-line staff. And certainly not in the short-term. I think it will be the middle management tiers that it will effect and this will be once the media focus is off the whole situation. I don't buy the spiel that there will be no change to overall funding. What government isn't trying to save money?

I have seen the same pattern in Health. They disbanded all the Area Health Services and introduced Local Health Districts, managed by Boards. It all looks good on paper; local people making local decisions, more input from the doctors and no clinical staff have been effected (some professions have seen enhancements). But it is now, a year on, that we are starting to realise that doctors are very good a medicine, but do not necessarily have the skill set to manage health services.

And there are the job cuts. Support services are being restructured. Positions are being culled.

The fact that the government has been busily changing industrial relations at the same time; tweaking 'displaced persons' policy, introducing voluntary redundancies etc. has made it much easier for positions to be deleted from the system. And positions are people. People who may have been working in the public health sector for many years. Dedicating themselves to making the health system the best it can be.

If they can do it in Health, they can do it in Education.

At the end of the day, I just want my children to get the best possible education that they can. Just like I want patients to have access to the best health care available.

It is politics that gets in the way.

So when our lovely, articulate young local MP spruiked his brand of politics at the P&C meeting, I had a few things to say. Just a few.

I love a good argument.

Do you shy away from conflict?


10 comments:

Mama of 2 boys said...

Oh right on MM! The school is lucky to have a parent so in touch as yourself to stand up for them. I do think politics quite often bamboozles then railroads the bulk of the community. And you are absolutely right, the governments only immediate concern is to save a dollar, they're not thinking of the long term effects such changes will have on children... or their families.
That young MP came to play and it sounds like you rolled the dice. Good job! I definitely don't do conflict well... however, I am never more passionate than when it is a cause that may impact my children... so I can already see my stance may change.
xo

Denwise aka Denyse Whelan said...

Thank you so much for using your parent power. This government is making decisions based on.....ummm...$$ but no sense! Having been part of 40 years of NSW education & it's systemic changes caused by political powers rather than education experts I am very saddened by this next venture into 'stupid' resourcing
Thanks MM
Denyse

mamabook said...

I am far away from NSW now but I think your assessment sounds spot on. Love that you spoke out, directly and on the blog.
Michelle

Emily said...

Good work! I don't generally shy away from conflict. I don't fight the unnecessary fight, but if something is important, I'm there. Loudly.

At Number 32 said...

Good to hear you got a few words in! Bet he wasn't expecting it either!
Not a big confrontational person I don't think.....but not one to say nothing either. Well done!

Photographer Mum said...

I do shy away from conflict but I will stand up for what I believe in if necessary. Good on you, I admire that :)

karencharlton said...

Good for you. I think our politicians are becoming more and more expert at selling ideas, rather than developing ideas. This new plan sounds like a stinker. Our teachers went on strike yesterday because the Vic state government won't raise their pays to match other states. This comes just a few months after our nurses went on strike for similar issues. Makes me livid.
Good on you for speaking up, it's vital for parents to stand up on behalf of their children. These kids are our future.

Tat @ Mum in search said...

Oh, good on you, I hope he took note of what you had to say.

I usually shy away, or by the time I get my courage together the opportunity to speak out is gone.. but I've surprised myself a few times lately. i guess it depends how strongly I feel about something.

River said...

Do I shy away from conflict? Not shy away so much as run a mile. I'm not a fighter.

P.S. the word is affected, with an "a". Effected, with an "e" is different.
For example, the effect of such-and-such happening means many people will be affected.

MultipleMum said...

I always get affected and effected wrong! Thanks for the sentence prompt. Might help in the future!!! Everyone has a word though, don't you think? One that you just can't learn?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...