Monday, 23 July 2012

A demon with a plan and a list

Image from here
I am not an organised person, but I am good with time. I can squeeze a lot into my day and seem to have natural delegation and prioritisation skills, but I am no expert. Lately, I have been overwhelmed at work with the sheer volume of things that need to be done. 

I am much better with a clear plan (but not that great at putting the time aside to create one).

When I am busy and scheduled, I am focused. I move from one thing to another and just get on with it. I write lists and check things off.

When I am busy and free-range, I am distracted. Overwhelmed and unable to sort the Importants from the Unimportants. Or the Urgents from the Non-urgents. I procrastinate or I move from one thing to another and another and back again. I succumb to distractions, like phone calls, emails and random visitors. I write lists and forget to look at them again.

So I have set about getting myself more focused, even on days when I have less scheduled. I have adopted some of the teachings from Zen Habits and write a Top Three every day. When I get those done, I feel like I have achieved something, even on those days when I have been allocated 12 new things to do!

I have also learnt to use my Groupwise calendar properly about bloody time, which means my Things To Do list is now digital. And accessible from any computer I use at work, or home.

I loved myself at work today. I was a demon. A demon with a plan, and a list.

What are your best time management strategies?

8 comments:

Shelley said...

Best time management plan I've found is when I think about something I have to do, If it can be done there and then I just do it. If I have five minutes spare, then I do something that fits in that timeframe. Has helped stop me procrastinating immensely.

Claireyhewitt said...

I hate Groupwise.

That is all.

Tat @ Mum in search said...

I do One most important thing... three seems a bit of a struggle ;)

Mama of 2 boys said...

It's so important to give ourselves some direction every day, I find. On the days where I wake and get straight into the necessary tasks... leaving things like blogging/playing around with my photos etc... until I've completed those necessary tasks... I'm a much calmer, happier, more well-balanced person. Maybe even a demon. I like that. Good luck with continuing your big three, sounds like a solid plan xo

Mum on the Run said...

Sounds like you're onto it.
I love me a plan too - and lists. So many lists though!!
:-) x

Marissa @ Beautifully Organised said...

I'm a list maker and a planner. It gives me a sense of calm, like I can handle everything. But I cap it off at 8 items, or I feel guilty about not finishing :)

seana smith said...

I'm such a planner and diarist... would collapse without my iCal... and by my laptop I have a list of what to do numbered 1, 2, 3. Err... what does it say just now... NOT 'read blogs and natter online!'

Emily said...

I plan and schedule and take so long to do it that I have to re-plan and re-schedule based on the amount of time left for the doing. And so on and so forth until, at the end of the day, I'm mentally and physically exhausted with nothing to show for it.

Me so smart.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...