Wednesday, 15 August 2012

Tackling the diastasis recti

Image from here. Not my tummy but I can relate.
I wrote a post once about the state of my stomach after my pregnancies. For those of you new to this blog, I had three pregnancies in quick succession, the last of which resulted in twins weighing 3.24kg and 3.36kgs. I have been stretched to billy-o but unfortunately, I haven't managed to spring back.

One of the things on my 52in52 list* was to investigate what I can do about the gaping hole in the middle of my stomach aka diastasis recti. It doesn't cause me pain per se but extreme discomfort and a high ick factor when I watch the progress of my lunch through my intestines. Not normal.
I got a referral to see a public hospital plastic surgeon and I had my appointment last week. He acknowledged that, yes I do have a medical issue (7cm separation with large umbilicial hernia), that yes it does need to be remedied with surgery, but no they probably can't do it in the public hospital system.

I understand that my need for surgery is not as pressing as much of the other work that they do to help people with life-threatening cancers, burns etc. I really do. I knew that it was a long shot, but I have to say it kind of sucks to know that you need to save thousands of dollars, just to have yourself put back together.

The surgeon is taking my case (including lovely photos) to the Head of Plastics for his consideration. I might be one of the lucky ones who is 'bad enough' to get help in the public hospital system (cross your fingers for me). But it begs the question: what will I do if I am not?

Have you had surgery to remedy diastasis recti? Know someone else who did? How did you manage to get it done?

*Incidentally, I am currently re-working this to a 101 in 1001 list as I have managed to complete 38 items on my list and not the rest...

9 comments:

Coal Valley View said...

Hi MM, I can relate to the twin skin and I have some separation of the stomach muscles too. It's not so bad that I need surgery but the weakness is annoying. My friend (also with twins) has just had her serious separation repaired but through the private system. Let me know if you want to chat to her about the operation anyway. It sounds positive that the surgeon is taking your case to the next level though - hopefully you will be lucky!! Mel xx

Something Gorgeous said...

You have beautiful kids who in I dare say think you are beautiful too! I can understand your concerns and frustrations. I hope you can get some answers and results.

Miss Pink said...

Crossing my fingers and sending lots of luck your way. I feel like this is something that should be allowable in the public system. It's like saying "Yes you provided humans for our future but fuck you if you think we're going to help you put your body back together after sacrificing it."
They should help. Even if the waiting list is long.

Ros said...

Have you thought about joining a fund & having it done in 12 months? I think you've got a right to be put back together after the babies. I hope you can get help in the public system & they can take your case on, if you can get a cesarean in the public system, them why not this? Good luck. x

Mama of 2 boys said...

Oh MM, it does kinda suck. Just the name of the condition is icky, to me it reads like 'disaster', but maybe I'm just being a bit melodramatic. My tummy is stretched almost beyond the recognition I have of it too. Two 4.6 and 4.4kg boys will do that to a tummy.
I hope you can get the operation sooner than later... and fingers crossed you qualify as a 'special' case. The public system can be a real pack of poo tickets.
xoxo

Anonymous said...

As a mother of four also in quick succession, can totally relate to this tummy. Even my kids can't look at my tummy. I too have questioned the need for surgery when I care for people as a nurse with life threatening illnesses that seem far worse. And the cost of surgery when others in the world don't even have clean drinking water.
For now have decided that the tummy can stay. I am divorced, so don't have to share my tummy with anyone else, thankfully!

River said...

You can see the progress of you food? That's definitely an ick factor! Makes me glad I had small babies with no twins, my tummy is still soft and stretch-marked, but no other damage.

Seana Smith said...

Blimey, I didn't know it could be so extreme. My stomach muscles have never got it back together after the twins but it isn't too bad and no lunch is noted in transition.

Fingers crossed they can do it for you on Medicare, surely the muscle weakness will be a problem as you get older... keep it medical for Medicare.

Just emailed you using blog email as haven't heard back from you re hopeful meetup this week. Fingers crossed.

emma @ frog, goose and bear said...

Somehow I've been missing all your posts MM. I think you accidentally fell off my blog roll. I must fix that!!! This was the op I just got done. Big muscle diverification, an umbilical hernia and two inguanal hernias. Got it done in public system. Email and I can share more.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...