Saturday, 15 September 2012

What do you want to be when you grow up?

Image from here
I love asking the children what they want to be when they grow up. Every few months, they have a new plan. A new path to an imaginary life. A life where they get to be exactly what they want to be. For now. Maybe it will come true, maybe not. But it is such a thrill to imagine the possibilities.

Today Nugget said he wants to "draw cartoons". Either that, or be a journalist (although he had to ask what a journalist actually does. I referred him to my sister's blog).

Doo Dah said he wants to be a karate teacher so he could teach others how to do karate (complete with ninja moves. Not that he even knows karate).

Dew Drop wants to be "Bob" (the Builder for those of you beyond the pre-school years. No further discussion, just a return to his pretend screwdriver to 'fix' his car seat).

And the Minx said she is "too young to know." Okay then. (Dew Drop piped up that she could be a 'plincess' which may just have melted my heart).

Once everyone had had a turn, and they were deep in their own thoughts about their lives ahead (well, that is what I tell myself. The reality is that were probably thinking about fart jokes). Doo Dah asked me what I want to be when I grow up*.

I said "A kid".

I wonder how many of us actually became what we thought we would. I can remember that my job choices included a forensic scientist and a paediatrician. I became neither.

I hope the children find a way to enjoy their jobs and make a tidy living, whatever they end up doing. Combine that with finding a partner that rocks their world and I can't imagine a better way to live a contented life.


Are you actually doing what you thought you would when you were a child?


*I have actually been wondering when you do grow up. As I am approaching 40 I guess he means now? Right?!?

12 comments:

Jen R said...

Oh I want to be a Plincess too :0

Being Me said...

Aww who wouldn't want to be a plincess, frankly? All that being waited on... I wouldn't say no.

No. I'm not. I wanted to be a vet. However, I am pleased to say that I am doing what I wanted once I had reached young adulthood (I reassessed and realised I wasn't a blood n' guts kind of person): I am a mum and I get to stay at home. And my income is made doing what I am good at/my passion (design and computer "stuff"). So I'm not complaining at all!

ClaireyHewitt said...

I love the idea that the jobs our children will have are probably not even invented. Like mine. As a social media manager it just never existed ten years ago.

Mama of 2 boys said...

Great question MM...and such a cute one to ask children, the responses are always wide & varied. I always wanted to be a teacher, even did work experience as one. It has never come to be, but who knows what the future might hold. Forensic scientist is heavy for a child, you must have been a real thinker...which wouldn't surprise me at all xo

Mum on the Run said...

For as long as I can remember I wanted to be a teacher. I used to line my teddies up and 'teach' them and looooved my grandparents' place in Ireland as they had an old schoolroom in the front of their house.

Luckily for me, the real thing has lived up to my lofty expectations!!

I love hearing kids grand plans for the future too - all that optimism.
Magoo is adament he will be a fireman/police/army/bin truck man.
He has no sense of smell - so some aspects of that role will suit him!
:-) x

Emily said...

I never knew. I still don't really. I enjoy writing and quite enjoy my job, but whether I've found my true passion yet is a different question.

Standard responses when I was younger were a guitar (yes, a guitar, not a guitarist), the next Kylie Minogue or Editor of the World. Even when I answered verbally, Editor of the World was always in title case.

Nat - Muddy Farmwife said...

I always wanted to be a journalist, now I'm a Speechie, I love my job, but as a kid probably didn't know what a Speechie was!
My kids are undecided when I ask them, not sure whether that's a good thing or a bad thing?

emma @ frog, goose and bear said...

I don't think I ever knew what I wanted to have as a career when i was younger. i still have no clue! We've actually been invited to a 40th birthday party next month and we all have to dress up as what we wanted to be when we grew up! I'm not sure what to wear....

Photographer Mum said...

I love asking the kids this question. The other day I asked Jaime what she wanted to be when she grows up and she came back with "I'm going to be a mermaid and I will be called Mermaid Lily". I love that they totally believe it when they say it. Oh to be so innocent again...
I wanted to be a lawyer/solicitor or a doctor for a while but knew that I wanted to be a photographer when I was about 12. Oh, and a mum. Now I get to do both and I LOVE it :)

therhythmmethod said...

Louis wants to be a bug professor, a scientist or a football player. The way he lines up for a mark, I'm pretty sure he has more chance of landing in a lab coat.
Can Plincesses wear gumboots? x

Anne said...

I wanted to be a ballet teacher, I am not exactly a dainty lady!

Kymmie said...

Love it. I'm not sure when 'growing up' actually happens, but I suspect I should have grown up by now. That being said, I have actually said to peers, "I'm wondering what I'll be when I grow up", because now that the first stages of parenting is almost over, I'm seriously thinking about re-training. No, not an accountant's life for me. But we will see. Madison wants to be a superhero (of course), and Noah just wants to be a 'big boy'. His goals are somewhat more realistic I say. Great post and lots of food for thought.

xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...