Wednesday, 14 November 2012

Fighting the monsters: Night lights for children

One of the exciting things about our extension plan is that everyone will have their own room. At present, Dew Drop and the Minx share and so do Doo Dah and Nugget. Our architect, a friend of the Geege since high school, remarked the other day as he was sweating over our plans that 100 square metres is a very small house for six people. Indeed it is. And so it will grow, just as the kids have.

I am not against children sharing rooms. I shared a room with Sister B until Sister A moved out of home to go to the big smoke. About 15 years in total. I reckon it is why she and I get each other in a way that not many people do. A shared history of monthly room rearranging and daily routine juggles will do that.

But when you live in a small house, there is real value in having your own space. A little piece of real estate all to yourself. A shelter from the family storms; a place to take the required 10 breaths when someone rubs you up the wrong way.

And so it will be.

The kids are really excited about the prospect but I know the reality will be different. You see, they are all a bunch of scaredy cats at night. They rely on each other to feel safe from the terrible monsters that roam our house at night. If you believed what you were told, we are sharing our precious 100 square metres with hundreds of blood sucking monsters too!

For now, our hall light illuminates their bedrooms and they seek solace in each other's company. But this won't be the case when we have completed our extension. They will all sleep alone.

So on the Christmas list this year I have found each one a night light.

For Dew Drop, there is this one (duel purpose: night light AND sleep trainer for our little rooster)


For the Minx, there is this one (owl):


For Doo Dah, this:


And Nugget can further nourish his Lego obsession with this one:


Something you need. Check.

Now I just have to deal with the something you wants, something you wears and something you reads.

Do you do the night light thing?


9 comments:

allison tait said...

Love it! Three words for you: Gran's Monster Spray.

River said...

Night lights? Never. Not for me or my siblings, and my kids didn't need them either. Which is a good thing, but also a shame because many night lights are just so cute.

Anne Downing said...

The night lights are cute but I have never used them

Vanessa said...

Just make sure they're not too bright! We have returned a few for this reason and now just us little plug in light sensors from Safeway that cost less than $5

At Number 32 said...

We have a little night light that stay on in the bathroom, but thats mainly so they get the aiming right! (by they I mean HIM!!)
I love the idea of the monster spray though.....

Maxabella said...

We do... I am trying to find a decent one that's not too bright and plugs into the electricity. So far no luck - are any of these cuties that way inclined?

What's funny is that we chose to have the girls share a bedroom! I think that was because of all that I know I learned and shared by being in with you. x

Maxabella said...

We do... I am trying to find a decent one that's not too bright and plugs into the electricity. So far no luck - are any of these cuties that way inclined?

What's funny is that we chose to have the girls share a bedroom! I think that was because of all that I know I learned and shared by being in with you. x

Mama of 2 boys said...

Oh this is so timely, as I am actually trying to source a couple to light the way from the bedrooms to the bathroom. Bedrooms upstairs, bathroom right at the other end of the house, downstairs. Such a poorly planned house. Anyway, Angus has recently stopped wearing night pullups, so will naturally need to make the trek to the toilet in the night. So I'm looking for a good night light... and that lego one is FANTASTIC!
xo

Sonia LifeLoveandHiccups said...

Ours are major scaredy cats too - we have fairy lights in their room, though being boys I am not allowed to call them fairy lights, they are firefly catchers??? I dont care what they call them as long as they dont call me to come and annihilate the imaginary monsters at 2am. Those lights you found are pretty damn cool though :) xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...