Wednesday, 7 November 2012

Ladyscaping

Image from here
The night before I went in for surgery, while having a shower, I considered what to do about the body hair situation. I am not known for my consistent ladyscaping, rather for my urban hippyness when it comes to hair maintenance. I have hairy legs and armpits much of the time and I hadn't had a wax since we went to Bali so as you can imagine, things were a little out of control in the nether regions.

I couldn't leave things as they were. The horror! But I didn't want to look as though I had tidied up for the doctors. (How embarrassing?)

I ummed and ahhed about this predicament for awhile (some might say too long) and decided I would do a bit but not too much. So I shaved and snipped. The result was good. Well-kept, without being show-offish. Just right I thought smugly.

When I found myself being drawn on and flashing to what felt like the whole world, I was pleased that I had made the effort. My fear of being on the receiving end of a joke while I was under general anaesthetic had all but disappeared.

You can imagine my surprise when the doctor did the big reveal on my tummy to discover that, in addition to a new belly button, I also practically had a Brazilian! All the careful ladyscaping I had done had been re-done by someone (who?) while I lay unconscious on the operating table.

So now I am in the situation of having itchy re-growth, nasty dressings that will need to be ripped off at some point (ouch), and a review at the clinic with further flashing requirements. Clearly I have too much time on my hands if I am actually thinking about this right?

I know one thing for sure. If I ever have to have surgery again, I am getting a full body wax.

Ever ladyscaped for the doctor? Come on. Be honest.


9 comments:

Maxabella said...

I think a general tidy up is simply good manners. x

Diminishing Lucy said...

Trimming the edges is the go - I did a little maintainence prior to all three kids being born - had to whippersnip blind by feel!

Hope you are feeling all OK! xx

Photographer Mum said...

Yes, esp when it's time for a pap test. And in summer when swimmers are being worn.
Hope you recover fast.

MandyE (Twin Trials and Triumphs) said...

Oh, thanks for the laugh on election night!!!

I always wonder what other ladies do. (Hope that's not weird in itself! HA!)

I probably fall in the middle...I don't want the doc to have to navigate any more than necessary, so I do tidy up a bit. ;)

River said...

I've never ladyscaped for the doctor and barely even for myself. Since I haven't worn a swimsuit in several years I just haven't bothered. Mostly because I can't stand that itchy regrowth few days.

Kelly Exeter said...

I ladyscape for myself!! But doubly so for doctors ;)

At Number 32 said...

Oh this cracks me up. I am always in a state closer to that of our ape relatives when I seem to need emergency care. I hate it, and yet I am still so bad at booking in appointments every month! I do have to admit though that when pregnant witth my first I trotted off for my first brazillian specifically for the birth (as if they hadn't seen hair before!) Needless to say, by the third birth, it just was what it was!
Hope the itching goes fast.

Seana Smith said...

I did the full whack before the recent surgery, only because my lovely wax lady up the road promised it wouldn't hurt. She does her own brazilians!! It actually was ok, but it's not for me... I am sure it helped the surgeon but it looks all wrong to be so nude down below. I am not a wee girl but a big old woman... so snipping only henceforth.

therhythmmethod said...

I'm with sister B.
Although I'm pretty sure the medicos have seen it all. They would be hard to shock.
Glad you're well and back in action. xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...