Monday, 5 November 2012

Writing a new signature

Image from here
I had a moment of connection with the man who wanted to grow his foreskin back the other day.

I had been in hospital five days* after having surgery to repair my diastasis rectis and various hernias, and the doctor had come past for a visit to check on his work i.e. check out my stomach.

He unpeeled my velcrose abdominal band, ripped off the dressings over my incision (free wax! His Mum taught him the fast Bandaid removal technique that he is now generalising to all sticky dressings with questionable results), and said 'So, what do you think?', clearly pleased with himself.

I lifted my head, peered down at my stomach and gasped. "What's that?" I asked.

"It's your new belly button" he stated matter of factly. "Don't you like it?"

"I don't remember discussing new belly button designs with you" I said, half tongue in cheek. "Shouldn't we have had that conversation at some point?" I asked, smiling.

"What's wrong with it?" he asked, looking concerned but trying to determine if I was giving him curry or not.

"Well...it is kind of small. I've always had an ample belly button. It's kind of my signature. You know."

"Well", he said scratching his head, "now you have a small one. You'll have to find a way to write a new signature."

Ever had to contend with a new body part?

* Just to complete the story, I had surgery on October 26 in my local public hospital after being granted permission by the Head of Plastic Surgery. I was in hospital 7 days, and am now recuperating at home.


13 comments:

Miss Pink said...

Geez, I really feel like it's something that should have been mentioned prior to the surgery. Sure you might not mind, but it's just respectful to say "Hey, we may have to alter your belly button because of the surgery."

Coal Valley View said...

Oh Gosh! You had the surgery already. Not sure I'd feel happy about learning about a new body part after the fact. I know of someone who lost a body part - went in for gallbladder removal and they took out appendix while they were at it (for no urgent reason) and without asking permission. Hope you are recovering OK and being looked after, that's a fairly major operation there - 7 days in hospital. Mel xx

therhythmmethod said...

That would freak me out too! Glad you're recovering well.

Kelly Exeter said...

They re-modelled your belly button!!! I think I'd be upset about that too ... and I don't have no signature belly button!

River said...

I agree it should have been discussed so you would at least be prepared. You'll probably be used to the new on in no time.

When I had my varicose veins done the doctor asked if I was concerned about a bit of scarring on the leg. I said no, but when I woke up I found 13 horizontal cuts that had been stapled shut right down the entire length of my leg. This was 29 years ago and most of the scars, plus staple dots are still visible.

Naturally Carol said...

My husband just got a new belly button too..it must be the rage in all the best circles!! I hope you're recovering fast...no lifting mind you.

Ali said...

That must have been a surprise!! I hope you are feeling better.... both from the op and with your new belly button too. I am a small umbicilical (can't spell it) hernia but I haven't got around to doing anything about it.

Mandy Ferry said...

Glad to hear you're doing ok. Never given my belly button much thought to be honest. :)

Jacob Pillins said...

That must've been mad experience to have seen your own body been opened by sharp cutters of some sort. Freaky but from the tone of writing you must have been used to it by now. And as for having a new signature body part, probably be best to embrace a new you after a surgery. It might be disturbing at some points but you'll get used to it just as much as you have when it comes to surgeries.

E. said...

Hope you are recovering well.

Ths post is the literal version of navel gazing.

Seana said...

What happened to the old one?????

I think we need photos. I'd like to check the surgeon's handiwork.

Mama of 2 boys said...

Oh my goodness MM, you brave soul! How wonderful you managed to get the surgery done and dusted so quickly. Really pleased you're home and recovering well. That would be a rather unusual experience to look down and see something you'd never seen before. At this point, can't say I've had that happen... though my tummy definitely looks different post children... not better by any means... just different.
xo

emma @ frog, goose and bear said...

7 days in hospital!!!! Wowsers! Must have been much bigger job than mine. How are you recovering? It really is horrible. I've been thinking if you and wondering how it's all going. Glad to a have a catch up on your blog and see that you're doing OK. It 'ain't fun!! So glad the Geege has taken time off for you - and on such short notice! I had a month to plan at least and thankfully a husband who has performed these surgeries himself so I was fully informed. Must have been quite scary for you!! I don't like my new belly button either, but at least it's an inny instead of an outie now!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...