Monday, 3 December 2012

Home made slip 'n' slide

Images stolen from my friend's Facebook page. Thanks GG. 
We were away with friends in the Blue Mountains at the weekend. 10 adults and 11 children. We hired a house and spent some quality time together. It was wonderful.

On Saturday as the temperature rose well into the 30s for the second day running, we collectively wished the rental had a pool, but alas it did not. We rigged up a slip 'n' slide using some plastic sheets, tent pegs,* some eco-friendly detergent and a garden sprinkler. The perfect hill slope came with the house.

Remember the slip 'n' slide? It was the best Summer fun! My sisters and I used to spend hours throwing ourselves down ours in the early 80s. I remember the awesome feeling of sliding along on my tum or my bum. Not a care in the world. The heat of the Summer forgotten.

The kids played for ages and begged for a repeat the next day. The Dads, who couldn't help but join in the fun, managed only one turn each. Each commenting on forgetting how bloody painful it is to belly flop onto a piece of plastic.

Mother nature blocked the kids' slip 'n' slide plans the next day as the temperature dropped and a hail storm came for a thunderous visit. This created another opportunity for exciting outdoor play as the kids tried to catch hail in their hats and on their tongues.

Our weekends away with this group of precious friends have taken a new turn since we all became parents. As I sat down, looking at the scrumptious meal we created together to celebrate a belated Thanksgiving**, I realised we all have a lot to be thankful for. The eleven beautiful little people that sat around the table with us only enhance our friendships and the memories we make together. 

The weekend will always be about the home made slip 'n' slide for me. The joy it created for the children who used it and for the parents who put it together.

Did you slip 'n' slide as a kid?


Not a great idea in hindsight. Doo Dah has a cracker of bruise on his thigh following a run-in with said pegs.
** One of my friends is from the US and has put on a Thanksgiving spread for us more times that not in the years she has lived here.

7 comments:

Photographer Mum said...

LOVE the slip & slide!! I just bought one for the kids last weekend (we are having a waterplay party for J in 2 weeks time) and they had a blast. I even went down a few times myself and I am SORE!! But it was totally worth it!

allison tait said...

Love a slip n slide. You know that I do.

Claireyhewitt said...

Love a slip n slide, however last summer realised I have hit the age where I am too scared to throw myself to the ground at a running pace, I don't seem to bounce as nicely as I once did.

Erin said...

Loved the slip n slide when kids. Last year we bought one and it sprung a leak within the day, one son's list for Christmas and was thinking maybe a home made one could be the ticket, probably more durable. thanks for the inspiration

E. said...

What a great weekend. Really lovely, memories for all the kids.

I remember the neighbours having a slip and slide when I was about 9. I have a vague recollection of it being fun. We go interstate for Christmas and the family has a slip and slip. All the kids love it although sometimes they get hurt. I'm thinking as an adult it wouldn't be the most pleasant thing to do. Can you get plastic burn?

Jen R said...

Hehe, I have such fond memories of the old slip n slide days!!

rockmelon recycled said...

yep, great memories! thanks for sharing.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...