Tuesday, 18 December 2012

The world's longest umbilical cord?

I remember thinking that I just couldn't love another baby the way I loved Nugget. I fretted about this during my pregnancy with Doo Dah. I needn't have worried, of course. When baby two comes your heart just swells to accommodate. He was so easy to like.

He had perfectly styled caramel colored hair at birth, as though he had popped out to the salon in readiness. His eyes were huge (and a little poppy I must admit) and, right from the get-go, inquisitive. Social. He looked around and took it all in.

His birth had been traumatic. He tried his best, but he couldn't get out the traditional way, so he was lifted out through the sun roof.

He had the longest umbilical cord ever seen by any of the team in the operating suite. It was the source of many 'OMG's from the various staff, leading his mother to wonder WHAT was so bloody big? WHAT had they never seen anything like?

And then there was the bruised scone. A product of his energetic attempt to push through a birth canal that wasn't shaped the right wAy for babies' heads. He spent some time in a bili bed, and a night in Special Care with the stadium lighting helping him fight the jaundice he had developed. He looked so cute in his 'sunnies'. We had a trip to the hospital on Xmas day to finalize his treatment. Not my only Xmas spent at a hospital.

He was our smallest baby at 3.2kg, and the most adorable thing going in a singlet and nappy. He was an adventurous eater from the beginning. A great sleeper after the first year, apart from a small snoring habit. He sees the world differently from others and he makes it a far better place to be in. I can't believe I doubted I could love him. Now I doubt I could love anything more. Happy Birthday to my favourite six year old boy.

Was your child's umbilical cord a record breaker too? What do you think it means to have a 1m long umbilical cord?



15 comments:

Nell Heshram said...

A nice piece. Isn't it amazing how each birth and milestone passed feels brand-new, even though you've been through it before....

joeh said...

I was excited and VERY PROUD until I realized it was an umbilical cord!

Coal Valley View said...

That IS a long one! I think it's a sign of excellent health after my Flynn got the record 3 weeks ago for the thinnest, shortest cord most times wrapped around a baby's neck and body. I shudder to think what would have happened if I wasn't induced when I was. And I agree about having enough love for all. Happy Birthday Doo Dah-6 is fun! Mel x

Mum on the Run said...

Just beautiful.
Happy birthday to your lovely boy.
They say they cut that cord - but it doesn't really feel like it, does it? It just becomes less visible.
xx

At Number 32 said...

Happy Birthday from us xx I think the long cord simply meant you had more to make pate with!!!! LOL

Maxabella said...

Joeh cracked me up.

Happy birthday to that piece of gorgeousness. x

Emily said...

I'm currently in the 'how can I love another bub as much as Ashleigh?' phase too. I'll share my answer in a few months!

No umbilical cord stories to share. Hubby was so terrified of seeing blood in the operation theatre that he refused to leave my head to go and cut the cord.

Mama of 2 boys said...

Awww, such a lovely tribute to your beautiful boy MM, Happy Birthday Doo Dah!
And I felt the same way while I was pregnant with Felix... just how could I love anyone more than Angus!? But I have found I absolutely do! There is plenty of love to go around... even for a mandrake child, who STILL stops traffic with his screech, I might add.
That is an impressive umbilical cord, not that I've ever really thought about what constitutes a lone one. I imagine that would have had something to do with his difficulty to 'come out' the conventional way too.
xoxo

Mama of 2 boys said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gill said...

Seeing the world differently is one of my favorite traits in people!

Mandy Ferry said...

Ok you win. I would have no idea about any of that detail, so probably not earth shattering enough to mention. It's great to have alittle tale to tell.

Julie said...

Mike came out the sunroof too (love this) and the oh my's weren't for the cord, it was his size 3 feet. The largest anyone had ever seem but he also was one of our hospitals bigger babies at 12lbs and 24" tall. Its so fun to think back then, Mike will be 21 in March.
Not positive where I came from to get here but this visit has been fun.
Blessings and Happy New Year!

MommieBear said...

My daughter's umbilical cord was 42 inches. My midwife was amazed.

MommieBear said...

Hmm I tried leaving a comment but I think it didn't go through... so here it is again.

My daughter had a 42 inch umbilical cord when she was born. My midwife was quite surprised. And her cord was wrapped three times around her neck, then around her leg and shoulder. I guess she'd been doing gymnastics in there!

kamil jemal said...

My baby was born with an umbilical cord length of 119 cm is probably the longest on the planet

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...