Tuesday, 4 December 2012

This one time, at band camp...

Image from here
Nugget (7) has been selected to play the trombone in the school training band next year. He is stoked. It is seriously the only time in the last three years that he burst out his news as soon as I picked him up from school.

I rate the opportunity he is getting through the school. There is nothing more fabulous than learning an instrument and gaining a love of music. It is an interest you can nurture for life.

I played the trumpet for a few years in high school and was in the town band. Mum says I am the only person she has ever seen who can talk and play the trumpet at the same time. Clearly, if Nugget takes the band by storm, his talent can be traced back to me. If not, ditto.

I don't know much about trombones. Only that the guy who played the trombone in the band I was in was the object of my desires for some time. Somehow he made all that blowing and spittle look hot.

The trombone is probably not the most versatile instrument for a child to learn (a bit like learning Swedish or Afrikaans as a second language rather than Mandarin or Spanish for example) but it features prominently in Jazz and ska music so there is hope for his musical tastes. The trombone is kind of cool though, don't you think? In a daggy sort of way.

I try to picture Nugget trudging his gigantic trombone over to school each day. I think it will be bigger than he is to start with. One thing is for sure. It will be an adventure. And it will be loud.

 
Do you play a musical instrument? If so, what do you play and when did you learn?

8 comments:

Jay said...

My little brother was selected to play the tuba when he was in primary school. It was so cute as it was almost twice the size of him, and for the first few years he could barely carry it around. Hopefully Nugget will love trombone!

At Number 32 said...

That is some instrument! Was there no guitar option.....there alot lighter and way less polishing! Perhaps soundproofing his room should be added to the reno list!!

Petra said...

Great that Nugget is in the band. Dennis got the trumpet, I was hoping he would get assigned the euphonium (somehow think the sound would be a bit more subdued than trumpet :-)

Jo @Country life experiment said...

My sister learnt the saxaphone - to start off with it sounded like a cow in labour. My mother made her practice in the back yard!

Photographer Mum said...

Piano when I was a kid and then I learnt the drums about 10 years ago. That was fun. I don't think my MIL appreciated it though...lol

Miss Pink said...

I taught myself the play the piano at 17. I also started learning the bass thanks to my ex boyfriend, but well, we broke up and it's hard to practice when you don't actually own a bass (I would use his).
Bluey has shown interest in the violin since he was really little, but now wants to learn to play the cello. Only thing is we don't have a cello, it's rather large to keep, and where the heck do you get lessons for a 6 year old that don't cost you an arm and a leg?

Mandy Ferry said...

I took my daughter to see santa, she's been nagging me all year for an iPod touch, then she tells santa she wants a trumpet. What the?

Maxabella said...

Snap! I can't believe we are breeding the kind of guys who dump their spit. x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...