Wednesday, 23 January 2013

A month of health: Connection

Image from here
I have been blessed with many friends throughout my life. Many of my friendships have been enduring and have evolved throughout the various stages of life. Many have survived the time-consuming self-centredness that comes from raring four children, close together in age.

I don't really nurture these connections like I should. I love it when I see them, but I don't see them enough. I rely on the seeds I sowed when we first met, and ongoing shared experiences, often, years ago, rather than putting in the effort they deserve now.

I want to be a good friend. I want to be available. I want to support my friends. I want to be more attentive. I want to know more about their day-to-day lives again, not just the big stuff. I want to listen to their stories.


Being connected to your community is an important factor in maintaining health. Having a network of support is essential for your well-being and peace of mind. Having other adults in the world who know and care about your children lessens the responsibility of raising them on your own.

I was reminded today that good people can spiral out of control without connection. Having someone who looks out for you and notices your moods and behaviours is essential for accountability and motivation. Having stable relationships enables you to grow as a person.

Without connection there is loneliness and isolation.

Do you nurture your connections?

6 comments:

Coal Valley View said...

You know I'm in the same boat as you on this one. It is really hard when you have so many kids in such a short time frame to invest in others as much as you want, it really is. I've had the moving around factor too. I have also had to count on the seeds sown in the days before kids. I can't keep up with everyone like I used to but the older I get the more I realise you only need a handful of really good friends. I try to nurture these really important friendships, but wish I could do more xx

allison tait said...

Hope all is well. X

Maxabella said...

The older I get the less I'm keen to know 'lots' and more keen to connect properly with 'some'.

Hope it's not you spiralling out of control?! x

Rhianna SG said...

Snap! I could have written this post myself. Well apart from all the helpful info at the bottom. I think some days that I am possibly the worst friend ever.

Fairy wishes and butterfly kisses lovely

tracy k said...

Don't beat yourself up; we are all there at some point in our lives- that's the whole point of long term friendships, they are more akin to being family than friends. I always took for granted that I could stay at your place for a week every school holidays, and you knew I'd clean the shower while you complained so we could go out- hahaha! yes those seeds were sown a long time ago :)

Kymmie said...

Sigh. I know exactly what you mean (and do hope that the someone you know spiralling out of control wasn't an attempted suicide). Connections are so important. I try to keep up, but I find that my family is the most important connection of all. They are so time-consuming. In a good way. Hope all is well in your camp. x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...