Monday, 28 January 2013

A month of health: Skin

Image from here
It is a truth universally known that almost 40 year old skin is not the same as 21 year old skin. Neither are 40 year old knees like 21 year old knees, mind you, but no-one can see that creaky feeling you get as you climb stairs, but they can see the lines on your face.
________________________________________________________
I met a woman when I was in my 20s. She was approaching 60 and had the most sensational skin. She swore it was a combination of good genetics and a daily moisturising routine ('always apply in an upwards direction' she said, 'and don't forget your neck'). I don't know if she had actually undergone cosmetic surgery or not (I can be quite gullible), but I have always heeded her advice. You just never know.
_________________________________________________________
Coming from a fair-skinned family, I have learnt to be careful with sun exposure. Skin cancer is the leading cancer in Australia. Most skin cancers are preventable. In addition to having regular skin checks, you can prevent most skin cancers by diligently:

  • avoiding the sun in the middle of the day
  • wearing sunscreen every day (mine is in the moisturiser I apply daily. In an upwards direction, not overlooking the neck area); and 
  • wearing a hat
_________________________________________________________
Smoker's are renowned for having poor skin. Saggy. Prematurely wrinkled. The anti-smoking campaigns warn us that "Every cigarette is doing you damage". When it comes to your skin, I think that is true.
_________________________________________________________
You need to eat a healthy diet and drink plenty of water if you want beautiful skin. Lots of fruit and vegetables, whole grains and lean protein. Real food. I always know when I have drunk too much and eaten too much sugar and/or oil. My skin breaks out, gets shiny and loses 'bounce'. You are what you eat.
_________________________________________________________
Sleep is your skin's best friend. You need at least seven hour's a night. Sleep improves complexion, removes dark circles under the eyes and makes the skin glow. Sleep can provide your skin everything it needs and it is more important than any cosmetic treatment and more necessary than any cream.
_____________________________________________
A friend of mine has regular Botox. Unbeknownst to me, she has been doing it for years. My only experience with Botox is for use in vocal folds that don't work properly (spasmodic dysphonia). I can't imagine injecting bacteria into my face. On purpose. But I guess it is a solution to the natural changes of ageing, for some people.
_________________________________________________________
I read in a magazine about cosmetic acupuncture. Rejuvenating the face (and body) by having tiny needles stuck into your face. Apparently it works a treat. And the effects spread beyond your face to rejuvenate your whole body.

What do you think your skin tells you about your health?


3 comments:

Seana Smith said...

Aaarrghhh Blogger has lost my original and very witty and incisive original comment!!

Errr... umm... something about a rosy glow and being in love, the best way to get the skin looking fab. Also being pregnant can do wonders. But quickly my skin was ruined by sleepless nights post-birth.

Brit-born folks like me tend to have OK skin because we saw no sun until we arrived in Australia - except that amazing summer of 1976 which is still fondly recalled.

Sun and smoking, terrible for the skin. But I wear my wrinkles with pride these days, I've surely earned them.

Mac D'souza said...

Skin checks are carried out at regular interval of times. In case of any bleeding or itching that an employee suffers the doctor is immediately called.

skin checks

Maxabella said...

Eat healthy and your skin shines. That's all I know. Oh, that and Cetaphil. $15 for a litre bottle at the chemist and you can use it all over. I've used it for 10 years and I swear it beats all that expensive stuff I used to splurge on. x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...