Thursday, 31 January 2013

A month of health: Wrap

Image credit
I want to focus on my health this year, I am turning 40 this year after all, but I don't want to "diet". I am done with diets. I reckon I have tried them all, well all the vaguely sane ones any way. I can't say I have ever had the will power for the lettuce leaf a day kind of diets. I digress...

I want this year to be different. I do have weight to lose but I don't want to spend three months getting it off and nine months putting it back on. That would be last year. And the year before, come to think of it.

I want to be healthy in the broader sense. Healthy body and mind.

I am embracing moderation with my food and drinking. Getting my headspace sorted and managing my stress (you should see how often I catch myself standing in front of the pantry after a bout of frustration). I walk regularly and I will start pilates classes with the physio next week. I am aiming for real food. Slow food. Embracing the food rules. Learning to break the binge and bust cycle.

I do not want to be a human accordion any more.

It is going to be a slow and steady approach to fit and fabulous. I have my good and bad days. I fight the urge to drink protein shakes and eat celery for a week to 'drop a few quick kilos'. But I am better than that. Stick to my little rules*, I tell myself, and it will go. Eventually. It is about my health, not the size of my thighs. And that is just the way I want it.

Do you have any health goals in 2013? Share them in the comments.

A month of health posts:
February will be:

 A month of frugality. 

I hope you will enjoy it.


* No lollies, no chocolate (except fair-trade dark chocolate occasionally), no carbs after 6pm, no night time snacking.

7 comments:

Ms M said...

Ive really enjoyed your jan posts. I decided this year my priorities would be: 1. Family, friends and home 2. Health and 3. Happiness and i made about 5 goals for each. I check regularly in a journal to see which ones i can tick off. I turned 40 last year. I think around 40 is tricky. Your posts have been timely. Ta

ANB said...

I thought this article by Michelle Bridges which, in part, is about weight loss and health being long term things, was interesting: http://www.theage.com.au/lifestyle/getting-fit-head-first-20130122-2d4x8.html

River said...

Lettuce leaf a day diets are only for super models and if they've been good they get half a sultana for dessert.
Your approach is much more sensible.

Melissa Mitchell said...

This has been me for the last 5 or 6 months. Such enormous changes. In the way I shop, the way I eat. My attitudes about food. My emphasis on getting healthy rather than just losing weight.

It's an epiphany. An Oprah-style-lightbulb-moment. But it has changed my life.

Wishing you well as you aim to get healthier too.

Nat - Muddy Farmwife said...

I really love this approach, looking forward to hearing how it goes.
I too have tried and failed many times, so just trying to be smarter about what we actually buy and bring into the house to help avoid temptation has helped a lot. Plus mixing up the exercise routine so it doesn't get boring too quickly.
Good Luck.

Maxabella said...

It's been a great month. I'm looking forward to your frugality month because I am trying to do the 'buy nothing new for a month' thing in February and I just know I will be hopeless. x

Seana Smith said...

Just wanted to say - belatedly as ever- how much I enjoyed these posts and also the format. It's a great idea to have these themed months, always get something to think about from your posts.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...