Thursday, 21 February 2013

A month of frugality: Cleaning and pampering the home-made way

I like making my own washing powder, shampoo/conditioner and cleansers. Apart from the health benefits and environmentally friendliness of using natural substances, it can be a frugal alternative too.

There are many recipes out there for making your own products, so I will share mine and link you to some others.

Washing powder:

I currently use - 1 cup of washing soda, 2 cups of grated sunlight soap and a tablespoon (or so) of vinegar in the rinse cycle. It goes okay.

I used to use this recipe, until I read this article. Borax is not a friend to your garden, and you don't need it, so ditch it!

In frugal circles, people swear by liquid laundry detergent like this one. I'll be honest and say that I have never made or used it, but it is definitely a cheaper alternative to the one I make.

Shampoo and Conditioner

When I was Buying Nothing New for a Year, I started using bicarb and apple vinegar to wash my hair. I did it for more than a year, having stopped only a few months ago when we had a nit invasion and I needed to buy conditioner in bulk! It is a simple and cheap way to maintain your hair and will reduce the amount of hair washing you need to do (once a week only). Check this out if you want to know more.

There are many other alternatives to traditional shampoos and conditioners. Take a look at this for a nice summary of your options, but bare in mind that these have an green priority and may not be as frugal as you'd like.

Facial cleanser

Wash your face with honey. Nothing else. Give it a try and let me know how your skin feels after a week. I like it because it is natural, simple and it works.

Maria from EcoNest has some great ideas for natural face cleansers, toners and moisturisers with varying degrees of difficulty. Mostly they are made from foods that you can find in your garden or crisper, so they are frugal and a good way to use up strays from your shopping list.

Do you make your own household or beauty products? Share with us.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I love this series of posts and I'm definitely going to try washing my face with honey - I'll let you know how it goes!

River said...

I wash my face with warm water and a minimum of vegetable-oil soap or sorbolene soap, but use cold water (and the soap) in summer.
With the price of honey being so high, I'll be keeping it for my apple cider vinegar tea.

pammy said...

If we know where stuff comes from,it's surely green and healthy. Every day I teeter on the brink of the 'From Scratch' lifestyle...edging ever closer x.
PS. Shall I come over and stay with you for an extended holiday? Yes? Think I shall. Will I book tickets for me and my 3 now. We'll call it a cultural exchange. I can teach you how to eat yourself through a UK winter using only chocolate.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...