Monday, 30 September 2013

Supercub is born

Nugget has been going to cubs for all of seven weeks. He is a total fan. I think he is suffering withdrawal this week because of the school holidays.

Since signing up he has been rock climbing, had a disco and sleepover, learnt how to tie four different knots, commenced a course in codes and signals and got his swimming badge. Even he sees the irony of achieving his swimming badge first! He giggled a little as he exclaimed "and I'm not even a very good swimmer but they gave it to me anyway".

I may in fact be an even bigger fan than he is. My applause goes to the wonderful adults who sacrifice so much of their time to entertain and teach our children. They may be the biggest dags that ever were, but my God do they know how to give kids a good time and grow their confidence and encourage their independence and sense of responsibility. Love with a capital L.

And don't get me started on the little yellow book! Badges are the bomb! Nugget and I have been planning his assault on badge acquisition. He has his eyes firmly set on the ultimate prize 'the grey wolf'. I just wish I could earn badges too! It would totally suit my 30 Day Challenge mentality, and might just get me to plug in my new sewing machine...

The Cub program is so organised to. They have a timetable of events (per term), weekly email reminders and information nights for newbie parents who are getting their cubs prepared for Cuboree in January. As a seasoned camper, I didn't think they'd be able to show me much about packing for a week long camping trip but I was wrong! A big wheelie bag, daily plastic ziplock bags, and only packing stuff that I am happy to never see again will be the key to a successful Cuboree! That, and teaching Nug how to turn a shower on and off without burning himself.

Today I dropped Nug at vacation care wearing a purple cape. He's had it on since last Friday. He's trying to wear it long enough to get in the Guinness book of World Records. I blame Kanga his cub leader. I overheard her telling Nug that he should be himself all the time. He shouldn't be afraid to be different. Being him is the best thing he can be. Supercub anyone?

Are you a part of the scouting movement? What has your experience been?

4 comments:

emma @ frog, goose and bear said...

Sounds like a perfect fit! My 9 year old, Goose, goes to Brownies each week. I wish they were as organised as yours seems to be, but she loves it!

Maxabella said...

I think Scouts is the bomb. And so are purple capes. x

Lucy Mulvany said...

And on this blissful public holiday Monday I find time to get to your blog. (I have been reading up on your weight loss adventures from last year...)

Charlie has just moved from Joey's to Cubs and Lexie has just started Joey's. Olivia starts as a Scout in Jan. Like you, I ADORE the movement. We have had ZooSnooze sleeovers, real camping, tabogonning down a grass hill on massive ice blocks, tree plantings, geocaching, arts and crafts, cooking nights, a church parade...all just in one term! We are on a group camp in a fortnight with all 5 of us and I am the volunteer cook mum...whilst Andrew will do boomerangs, knots, rock wall climbing and night walks with the the whole troup aged 6-13! we are, I realise, a Scouting family all of a sudden - a thing which I am very pleased about and the kids ADORE. xxx

Mummybrain said...

I have my girl in Keas, and my boy has just moved up to Cubs this term! Very exciting, and they too love earning the badges!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...