Friday, 31 January 2014

New beginnings

I was at the gym this morning. One of the other punters asked me if I had children. IF I had children. It has been a long time since I have blended into a world that doesn't revolve around children.

My two little pre-schooler shadows officially started school this week and so I am now one of those women who operate independently during the day. Well, I will be for the next week, until I recommence my full-time job.

People keep asking me how I will cope working full-time with four children. I have no answer to this question. I don't even yet know that I will in fact cope. It will be a little mystery.

I am spending my one week of (mostly) child-free holidays sorting out the household systems. We have nailed the school routine, although my 'made in advance and frozen' sandwiches stuck together in the freezer to the point that they were inseparable on Day 1...

I think I have the grocery situation worked out now (minus the meal plan that it all hinges on...) but I have no solution to the piles of washing. Mountains. I can't keep on top of it now, when I only work three days, so I am baffled about how we will manage when I am out of the house every week day. I fear my weekends could become one long date with the washing machine, washing line and washing piles.

One last week to tighten the routines, catch up on the mandatory appointments (dentist, optometrist) and recharge before the new stage begins.

New beginnings. Never what you expect.

Any ideas for dealing with Mount Washmore?

7 comments:

Bron Maxabella said...

You're standing on a precipice here, Ms C, and not just on the edge of the washing pile. You'll never get over that, not even with a Sherpa (and it's not. even. winter. yet.). Mind you, I do find that kids' uniforms can generally go a couple of days with a little spot-check with a washer in the mornings. That helps. And other clothes too. No need to wash after just one wear unless they are terrible and smelly or something.

Gosh, that's not very helpful is it?

x

Ms M said...

I feel your pain and I only have 2 kids. I have settled on a twice weekly wash and I prioritise undies, uniforms and work wear. Its not perfect but at least the essentisls are covered

toko sepatu grosir said...

I feel your pain and I only have 2 kids. I have settled on a twice weekly wash and I prioritise undies, uniforms and work wear. Its not perfect but at least the essentisls are covered

Krystal said...

I'm sorry. My kids are only 3 and twin 18 months so I'm not in your shoes yet but will be following the post. Perhaps organising lunches a few days in advance or cook a little extra at dinner for lunches the next day. Good luck

Miss Pink said...

Washing has never been a problem for me. I just have a schedule of loads that are done on certain days and I make it a rule that I can't go to he'd at night until the folding is done. I avoid any and all ironing, instead hanging garments and letting the creases "fall" out, if possible. I usually fold the washing as it comes off the line so when I get inside it's done. Kids put their own folding away.

Erin said...

I had a friend who worked on an Aboriginal mission in the Outback. The children had so many clothes that the washing never stopped.

In the end they packed away all the clothes leaving out school uniforms, 2 play outfits per child and a good outfit. Washing reduced drastically.

Perhaps you could adapt this to your family. They'd just have to keep wearing the same outfit each afternoon after school.

Sandie @ AppleBee Lane said...

It's certainly a juggle trying to manage full time work and home life! I find using my slow cooker helps … I do the chopping and preparation the night before, put it in the fridge and then in the morning I just put the bowl back in the slow cooker and turn it on. I also try to make double or triple size meals and freeze the extra portions. I've only just started my blog but in the coming weeks and months I'll be featuring a lot of these kind of recipes. Good Luck!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...