Monday, 29 December 2014

Growing up

Image from here
The school holidays are well and truly upon us. We have had a deliberately quiet couple of weeks; some much needed down time for all. Late nights and late mornings. Messing up and tidying the house several times a day. Numerous Lego constructions, craft projects and backyard cricket matches.

I have been on a rampage of sorts too. I've thrown several bags of stuff out of the house (to make way for the Christmas influx) and de-cluttered all the paper hot-spots. All to the sound of wrestling matches and bickering from 'bored' children.

Most days have involved an activity out of the house; mainly swimming. Today I took the kids to the new pool. All four of them. All on my own. I am largely unscathed by the experience too.

I swam with them for much of the time and had my turn on the water slide*. But as I supervised them poolside with a book in my hand, I realised something. They have actually learnt to swim (even the ones I thought never would). They have also learnt to look out for each other and to play together and to have oodles of fun together. It is just fabulous.

There were times when I actually wondered when I would see the light at the end of the tunnel. Today I realised that there is not only a light but I have made it through the tunnel. The other side looks pretty damned peachy.


* I was the only adult on the slide. The kids couldn't understand why I only had one turn when it was so-much-fun. I felt like a slow-learner.

1 comment:

seana smith said...

Of course I am keen to know which pool??? Iam having these moments too. Easter school hold and I am solo parenting Teen 15 and my twins (now 8) while hubby and Teen18 go on a Grannies and Golf tour of Scotland - holiday for me by comparison to old days. Hope you are all well. xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...